Here's What You Can Do If You Are Having Problems With Your Telco

The telcos in Malaysia are legally obligated to resolve at least 95% of its complaints within a timeframe not exceeding 30 business days.

  • It can be extremely frustrating to run into issues with a telco especially when it's about billing issues or poor services. But, you can do something about it.

  • If your telco fails to respond in a timely manner, you may choose to escalate the matter to Communications & Multimedia Consumer Forum of Malaysia (CFM)

    • Established in 2002 by Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) to protect consumer interests, CFM is tasked to work closely with the various service providers to foster the highest standards of business ethics and behaviour through industry self-governance.

      According to CFM, the company you are complaining about must first be given the opportunity to sort out the dispute.

  • What can you complain about?

    • 1. Billing
      Billing disputes, billing errors, delayed bills, no bills, overcharging, refund delay.

      2. Service
      Dropped calls, blocked calls, no coverage, poor coverage, slow Internet speed, service activation delay, service restoration delay.

      3. SMS
      Scams, spams, receiving unsubscribed SMS, receiving threatening, abusive, or obscene SMS.

      4. Information Privacy
      Identity theft, online identity fraud, unauthorised distribution of personal information.

      5. Others
      Disputed terms & conditions, unauthorised subscription of services, unfair practices, poor customer service, misleading advertisement & promotion, misleading prices and packages, online threatening, abusive, or obscene content.

  • How do you file a complaint to CFM?

    • 1. Write a complaint at the Portal Aduan CFM (formerly known as CFM Complaint Portal) website

      2. Send an email to [email protected]

      3. Call to complaint or enquire through the consumer hotline 1800-18-2222

      4. Walk-in to the office Communications & Multimedia Consumer Forum of Malaysia (CFM) at Malaysian Communications & Multimedia Commission (MCMC), Off Persiaran Multimedia, 63000, Cyberjaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan

      5. Send an SMS to SKMM ADUAN [Complaint Details] SMS to 15888

      6. Fax to +603-8320 9083

      7. Find CFM on Facebook
  • What happens after a complaint has been lodged to CFM?

    • 1. You can expect CFM to acknowledge and issue you a file reference number within one to three working days.

      2. CFM will seek redress for a resolution to your filed complaint. An officer from CFM will be deployed to follow-up and closely monitor the developments of your case until the case is resolved.

      3. According to CFM’s General Consumer Code Of Practice (GCC), all service providers are required to acknowledge receipt of a complaint within three working days.

      4. A service provider must respond within seven days and come up with a solution or explanation of what needs to be done and provide a timeline for the complaint to be resolved.

      Do take note that the service provider is obligated to resolve at least 95% of its complaints within a timeframe not exceeding 30 business days. This timeframe begins from the time of submission of all relevant supporting information or documents as requested by the service provider with regards to the nature of the complaint, in accordance with the GCC.
  • CFM has established online complaint communication channel which makes the process of resolving the issue to be more seamless

    • As mentioned earlier, consumers may lodge a complaint on MCMC's Aduan website and the users may easily track the progress and updates to their case.

      In 2016 alone, CFM received 7,556 valid complaints and 2,385 general enquiries.

      "Among the top five consumer complaint categories received by CFM in 2016 were billing and charging (2,914), poor service (2,506), poor coverage (619), unfair practices (442) and no coverage (404)," CFM chairman Megat Ishak Maamunor Rashid revealed.

      They managed to resolve 99% of the complaints received while the remaining 1% is still under investigation.

  • So, do take note of your rights the next time you have issues with your telco! Remember, there is no need to turn violent and attack the company.

    • Instead, breathe and proceed to use the right channels to seek a win-win solution with your service provider to resolve your issue.

  • Educate yourself on consumer rights to guard yourself against any unscrupulous business practices:

  • Speaking of which, airlines in Malaysia are legally obligated to offer passengers certain privileges in the event of flight delays or cancellations:

Leave a comment