5 Reasons Why You Don't Have To Be A 'Harry Potter' Fan To Watch 'Fantastic Beasts'
Not just for Potterheads.
1. You don't really have to know anything about the existing world of 'Harry Potter' to understand and enjoy it
Though set within the same universe, the events of 'Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them' take place long before Harry, Ron, and Hermione were even born. Seven decades previously to be exact. In fact, it's not even set in the same country and doesn't include Hogwarts either!
Everything will be completely new in 'Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them', from the characters and setting to the terminology and rules. Even the most hardcore 'Harry Potter' fans have no idea what to expect. Which means that Potterheads and Muggles alike will be discovering the a whole new side of the wizarding world together for the first time.
2. With intricate world-building elements and a dynamic plot, it's set to be the next great fantasy movie series
So what exactly is it about? Well first of all, it's actually based off a textbook from the original 'Harry Potter' series. 'Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them' is an encyclopedia of magical creatures authored by Newt Scamander.
So this new 5 movie series will detail the adventures of Newt and all the magical creatures he encounters on his travels, to tell the tale of how he eventually came to write the textbook.
In this first installment, Newt arrives in America with a magically expanded suitcase containing various magical creatures he has picked up during his travels. A serious breach of the wizarding world's Statute of Secrecy is caused when some of them accidentally escape the suitcase.
Newt teams up with former Auror (dark wizard catcher) Tina Goldstein and her sister Queenie, as well as an unsuspecting No-Maj (the American term for Muggles) Jacob Kowalski, to re-capture them all before it's too late.
That's barely the tip of the iceberg though. We haven't even gotten into all the dark stuff yet! But we'll let you discover for yourself what else the movie has in store for you. #nospoilers ;)
3. The new characters sound like they're going to be just as interesting and complex as the original ones
One of the best things about the 'Harry Potter' series was undoubtedly the characters. We were introduced to and fell in love with an extended ensemble of characters who all significantly added something to the plot in one way or another.
This new equally extensive crop of characters already have us intrigued just based on their descriptions. Here are a couple to keep an eye on:
From left to right:
- Eddie Redmayne as Newt Scamander: A former Hogwarts student who was expelled after an incident that involved endangering a human life with a creature. He is currently a Magizoologist who has been traveling the world to find and document magical creatures.
- Katherine Waterson as Porpentina Goldstien: A witch who works for the Magical Congress of the United States of America (MACUSA). Once an Auror, she was demoted to a menial desk job after using unauthorised magic. Her desperation to regain her status is what spurs her into teaming up with Newt.
- Dan Fogler as Jacob Kowalksi: A No-Maj who gets inadvertently swept up in the mayhem caused by Newt’s magical beasts and ends up being taken on an adventure beyond even his wildest dreams.
From left to right:
- Colin Farrell as Percival Graves: As an Auror and the Director of Magical Security at MACUSA, Percival is one of the highest-ranking and most respected officials in America. He is incredibly suspicious of Newt and his intentions, especially after the creatures escape.
- Samantha Morton as Mary Lou Barebone: A No-Maj who passionately leads the New Salem Philanthropic Society (NSPS), an extremist group who want to wipe out all magic and those who practice it.
- Ezra Miller as Credence Barebone: The vulnerable and withdrawn adopted middle child of Mary Lou Barebone who suffers the most from her abuse. His loneliness makes him susceptible to the manipulation of Percival Graves.
4. Some iconic characters will be making comebacks in totally unexpected ways
We don't know exactly how prominent of a role they'll play or even which of the 5 movies they'll be making an appearance in, but both Albus Dumbledore and Gellert Grindelwald have been clearly name-dropped in trailers. Take it from us Potterheads guys, their backstory contains ALL OF THE FEELS and is definitely something to look forward to.
P.S: Rumor has it that Johnny Depp has been cast to play Grindelwald. :O
5. You'll be introduced to more truly fantastic magical creatures than you could ever imagine
The various creatures, each uniquely mystical in their own way, are a huge part of what makes the wizarding world so wonderfully magical. We're totally excited about seeing how their presence will both enrich the world and advance the plot.
Here are some that we're looking forward to seeing in the first installment:
Niffler: When we were first introduced to Nifflers in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire' we never expected them to be so adorable! These fluffy little guys are attracted to shiny things and love to collect and store them in their belly pouches.
Thunderbird: Similar to a phoenix, this majestic bird has the power to sense danger and generate thunderstorms. Ilvermorny (the American version of Hogwarts) uses its name as one of its four houses and the creature itself as the house mascot.
Bowtruckle: Don't underestimate these little tree-dwellers. They may not look like much of a threat but if angered their long, sharp fingers can do some serious damage. They serve as guardians to their home trees which are normally those used in wand-making.
Swooping Evil: This strangely beautiful cross between a reptile and butterfly is a double edged sword. On one hand it's ability of sucking out brains makes it incredibly dangerous. But on the flip side, its venom can be used to erase bad memories if properly diluted.
Erumpent: Very closely resembling a rhinoceros, this powerful African magical creature has a thick hide that can repel most curses and charms. Its horn can pierce skin and metal, and contains a deadly fluid which causes whatever is injected with it to explode.
Occamy: This cross between a dragon and a bird hatches from eggs of pure silver. It has the ability to grow and shrink at will to fit into the space of its surroundings.
Graphorn: Large and hump-backed, with greyish-purple skin tougher than that of dragons. It can repel most spells, has two golden horns, and walks on large four-thumbed feet. The last breeding pair of Graphorns are in the safe hands of Newt Scamander.
'Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them' will be out in cinemas on 17 November 2016