So you've probably watched the Disney cartoon. Betcha didn't know Hollywood came up with MORE...
P.S. There's a giveaway for preview passes to the upcoming live-action Cinderella at the end of this story. Scroll down for more details!
1. Our earliest memories of childhood probably involved watching Disney's Cinderella (1950) at one point, with its delightful tunes, talking mice and singing birds
2. Did you know the lovely Julie Andrews a.k.a Mary Poppins played Cinderella in the Rodgers and Hammerstein TV musical once upon a time?
3. The aforementioned musical was then remade in 1997 with Brandy in the titular role and the late Whitney Houston as her Fairy Godmother
4. Then came the era of kick-a** Cinderellas. Starring Drew Barrymore, 1998's Ever After tells the "true story" of Cinderella, who is - for some odd reason - actually named Danielle in the movie.
5. The whimsical Ella Enchanted (2004) sees Anne Hathaway showing off her kung fu chops while searching for a way to break her "curse"
6. Who says you can't be bad-a** after becoming a princess? Though little ditzy, Cinderella joins Princess Fiona's princess posse in Shrek The Third (2007) in their fight against the evil (gasp) Prince Charming
7. It was only a matter of time before someone decided to plonk the classic tale into the modern world, starting from 2004's A Cinderella Story with Hillary Duff and Chad Michael Murray...
8. ... to 2008's Another Cinderella Story (yes, that's the actual title), where all Selena Gomez's Cinderella-inspired character wanted was to become a dancer. And maybe kiss the pop star-slash-prince too.
9. ... And finally, a guitar-toting Cinderella in 2011's A Cinderella Story: Once Upon A Song. They really need to start coming up with more original titles, methinks.
10. Just when you thought we're done with modern Cinderella AUs, Nickelodeon comes up with a genderbend version called Rags (2012) where Cinderella is - get this - a guy! And uh... he likes to sing too...?
11. On the silver screen, hit TV show Once Upon A Time brought back Cinderella's signature sparkly blue dress and glass slippers with less singing... and an unexpected "Fairy Godmother"
12. Kristen Wiig's brief stint as Cinderella on Saturday Night Live's 'Real Housewives of Disney' was hilariously b****y... and is quite possibly an alcoholic
13. Cinderella also made an appearance in the 'Grimm Job' episode of Family Guy. Wait, is it even possible for fairy tales to have non-screwed up endings in the show?
14. Going back to the big screen, Pitch Perfect's Anna Kendrick had some pretty big shoes to fill when she was cast as Cinderella in the musical film Into The Woods
15. Last but not least, the upcoming live-action remake of Disney's Cinderella (which was made 65 years ago!) promises to deliver a not-so-sexist portrayal of the iconic character and several twists to the classic tale
“The original animated version was much more about this boy who comes to save the day and this version is so not like that... it’s the strong girl by herself and a young man coming together that makes the story, rather than a far more sexist view," said actor Richard Madden, who plays Prince Charming.theguardian.com
Cinderella will be premiering on 12 March, but you may just be lucky enough to watch it before everyone else! SAYS is giving away TEN PAIRS of tickets to the preview screening, and the rules are pretty simple:
The giveaway ends on Friday, 6 March 2015 at 11.59pm, so be sure to submit your entries before then. Good luck!
NOTE: Winning entries will be judged on creative merit and will be based on originality, humour, and wit. All decisions made are final and no other correspondence will be entered into.