Penang Then And Now: 35 Photos That Show How Much Has Evolved In The Past Century
From one of the region's first trading ports to home of a UNESCO heritage site, Penang manages to preserve its old-world charm despite having had massive changes in its landscape.
1. Campbell Street
2. Hutton Lane
3. Chulia Street
4. Boston Bar, a popular bar in the '50s and '60s at the junction of Penang Road and Prangin Road
5. Chowrasta Market from the Penang Road entrance
7. Craven Cafe in Jalan Dato Keramat
8. Queen's Theatre and later, Old Cathay Theatre along Penang Road is now a Mydin wholesale emporium
9. Odeon Theatre on Penang Road
10. Majestic Theatre at the corner between Khoo Sian Ewe Road and Phee Choon Road
Majestic Theatre in 1990 photos from The Southeast Asian Movie Theater Project.
Abandoned Majestic Theatre building in 2009 photo by Sean Soon Photography via Flickr.
Restored Majestic Theatre building - to be used as a modern theatre for performances and exhibitions - in 2014 photo by David Tan via The Star Online.