11 To-Die-For Salted Egg Yolk Goodies That Will Totally Satisfy Your 'Ham Dan' Cravings
While the salted egg yolk craze has long started in our neighbouring country Singapore, it only truly kicked in for us very recently when the visually sinful molten 'ham dan' croissant from SS2's Le Bread Days shot to viral fame
After local food blogger, Rebecca Saw's review was published, many flocked to the quaint café for a taste of the croissants. If you don't mind long queues and lengthy wait times (at least for now), you can visit the café at the address below:
Address: 68, Jalan SS 2/72, Seksyen 19, 46300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
Opening Hours: 8.00am to 6.30pm daily.
Contact Details: Call 03-7932 0868 or drop a message on their Facebook page if you have any enquiries.
However, if you'd prefer to wait for the hype to die down, here are some equally (maybe even more) delicious alternatives to go for:
1. Chocolate lava cake with molten salted egg yolk centre @ Casa Cacao, Bangsar
Address: 31, Jalan Telawi 3, 59100 Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur.
Monday to Thursday: 1.00pm to 12.00am
Friday and Saturday: 1.00pm to 1.00am
Sunday: 1.00pm to 12.00am
Contact Details: For bookings and more info, call 03-2201 1282.
NOTE: Casa Cacao is currently closed for renovation until the end of December. Follow them on Facebook for the latest updates.
2. Salted egg yolk molten cake @ Softcore, Bandar Sunway
Address: No. 56, Jalan PJS 11/7, Bandar Sunway, 46150 Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
Sunday to Thursday: 11.30am to 11.30pm
Friday and Saturday: 11.30am to 12.30am
Contact Details: Call 03-5613 7273 or drop them a message via e-mail to [email protected] You can also check out their Facebook page for more info and photos.
3. Salted egg yolk charcoal waffle @ Go-Getter Café, Bukit Jalil
Address: 12A-1, 1st Floor, Block 5, Jalan Jalil Jaya 6, Bukit Jalil, 57000 Kuala Lumpur.
Monday and Tuesday: 12.00pm to 7.00pm
Thursday: 12.00pm to 7.00pm
Friday and Saturday: 12.00pm to 11.00pm
Sunday: 10.00am to 7.00pm
Contact Details: Drop a message on their Facebook page if you have any enquiries.
4. Salted egg yolk crepe @ Strangers at 47
5. Molten salted egg yolk pudding with homemade vanilla ice cream @ D'Cuisine, Plaza33
Address: PG-D & PG-E, Level Podium, Plaza33, Jalan Semangat, PJS 13, 46200 Petaling Jaya.
Opening Hours: 10.00am to 10.00pm daily.
Contact Details: For bookings and more info, call 03-7931 8985 or e-mail [email protected]
6. Sweet potato fries with salted egg yolk dip @ AMPM Café, Subang Jaya
Address: 11A, Jalan USJ 21/5, 47630 Subang Jaya, Selangor.
Monday to Thursday: 11.00am to 11.00pm
Friday: 11.00am to 12.00am
Saturday and Sunday: 10.00am to 12.00am
Contact Details: Call 03-8081 9121 or e-mail [email protected] if you have any enquiries. Alternatively, check out their Facebook page.
7. Charcoal buns with salted egg yolk filling @ Chynna, Hilton KL
Address: Level 5, Hilton Kuala Lumpur, 3, Jalan Stesen Sentral, 50470 Kuala Lumpur.
Lunch: Monday to Friday from 12.00pm to 2.30pm, Saturday and Sunday from 11.00am to 2.30pm.
Dinner: 6:30pm to 10.30pm daily.
Contact Details: For reservations, call 03-2264 2596.
8. Golden Buns (lau sha pau) with salted egg yolk custard filling @ Jin Xuan Hong Kong Dim Sum
9. Beijing Moon (salted egg yolk cheesecake topped with chicken floss or almond slices) @ Moody Cow Café, Penang
10. Sizzling brownie with salted egg yolk ice cream and caramelised banana sauce @ What The Duck Restaurant, Penang
Meanwhile, we combined mac 'n' cheese with heaps of salted egg yolk bits, and the results were DELISH: