You Know You're Malaysian When You Can Identify With These Travel Quirks And Habits
You wouldn't have it any other way.
1. Jaywalk because you think it's okay to do so everywhere else
Yes, you know, it's illegal. You just can't help the fact that you're a professional at dodging fast moving cars.
2. Go out of your way to exchange currency from that one place that always has the best rates
That 0.01 difference in the rate might seem like it's not much, but it adds up when you're exchanging a huge sum of money.
3. Find an accommodation which provides free breakfast - preferably buffet
You've been trained to get to the breakfast buffet early to "beat the crowd" as well as for maximum enjoyment and intake of food. Plus, you gotta make sure you get the good stuff.
4. Stealthily sneak out or tapau food from the breakfast buffet to keep as snacks for later
Sometimes your appetite isn't fully "awake" yet and you can't eat as much as you'd like to. Plus, there is so much food left, they won't notice if you bungkus some.
5. Unintentionally disrupt the queue system
Standing and waiting in an organised line is an unfamiliar concept to Malaysians and isn't quite our strongest suit. You just need a lil guide, is all.
6. Ignore the tour guide and syiok sendiri take selfies
7. Figure out all kinds of ways to conceal or hide your wallet
Think you can steal our wallets? Don't think so!
8. Bring chilli sauce with you, especially when going to mat salleh countries
Everything tastes better with a hint of chilli sauce.
9. Become instant besties with other Malaysian strangers you met overseas
That Malaysian bond is like superglue. It's easy and quick but undeniably strong!
10. Gotta visit relatives, friends, or a friend of a friend in said country
It's all acceptable and not ridiculous at all, as long as there aren't more than 4 degrees of separation.
11. Compare almost everything you eat with our own Malaysian food
8/10 times you think that Malaysian food is better.
12. When you buy souvenir, it's most likely food - chocolate being the crowd favourite
13. You're like a little lost lamb when it comes to escalators
Wait, do we stand on the left? Or on the right? Bear with us Malaysians, we can be a bit slow to catch on when it comes figuring out the unwritten rules of escalators in other countries.
14. At least one person in your travel group will bring instant cup noodles
So simple, so genius, so good. Sometimes it's the best meal of the trip.
15. Take photos of Malaysian-made things you find in other countries
It's a mix of being a jakun and also the Malaysian pride in you.
We Malaysians are an easy bunch to spot when we're overseas. See if you do any of these when you travel next with AirAsia, with 3 million seats from as low as RM3 one way up for grabs.
AirAsia has reached a milestone of having the pleasure to serve 300 million guests! To celebrate this occasion - as well as to thank fellow AirAsia supporters - AirAsia Group has announced celebratory fares on 3 million seats from as low as RM3 one way. With many exciting destinations across Asean and beyond, like Bandung, Pattaya, Kalibo, Maldives, Hyderabad, Kaohsiung, Siem Reap, Nanning, Xi’an, Osaka, Seoul and more, there's one place that's bound to fit you. Available now until 16 August 2015 for travel period from 15 February until 31 August 2016, get your tickets now HERE.