1) 1876: New Year's Eve seemed pretty boring back then.
2) 1907: A New Year's Eve celebration at Restaurant Martin in New York City. Things have gotten livelier, it seems.
3) 1909: A New Year's reception at the White House.
4) 1909: The annual Mummers Parade in Philadelphia is one of the oldest folk festivals in America. Here is the parade in 1909.
5) Sometime between 1910 and 1915, this is a photo of a happening cafe on New Year's Eve.
6) 1922: Los Angeles' Chinatown on New Year's Eve.
7) 1942: This lonely soldier stands next to a recruitment sign on New Year's eve in Detroit, MI.
8) 1943: Church-goers exiting Saint Dominick's church on Sullivan Street in New York City on New Year's Day.
9) 1943: Children blowing horns on Bleeker St on New Year's Day. With a classic background photobomb.