A trip to IKEA is never quite complete without a plate of meatballs or curry puffs
With all its stores temporarily closed due to the pandemic, the Swedish retail company decided it was time to let its customers in on how to make their iconic meatballs.
And what better time than now while people are cooking and experimenting with recipes at home!
"We know that some people might be missing our meatballs, which is why we've released an at-home alternative which, using easily accessible ingredients, will help those looking for some inspiration in the kitchen," IKEA's country food manager Lorena Lourido said in a press release, according to CNN.
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to cook the meatballs:
This portion can make about 16 to 20 meatballs. Take note that it's a non-halal recipe, but you can substitute the pork with your preferred meat.INGREDIENTS:
- 500g (1.1lbs) ground beef
- 250g (slightly more than ½lb) ground pork
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed or minced)
- 100g (3.5oz) breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons of whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine beef and pork mince and mix thoroughly to break up any lumps. Add finely chopped onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, and egg, and mix. Add milk and season well with salt and pepper.
2. Shape mixture into small, round balls. Place on a clean plate, cover, and store in the fridge for two hours (to help them hold their shape while cooking).3. In a frying pan, heat oil on medium heat. When hot, gently add your meatballs and brown on all sides.
4. When browned, add to an ovenproof dish and cover. Place in a hot oven, 350ºF or 180ºC, and cook for a further 30 minutes.
And here's how you can make the cream sauce:
- Dash of oil
- 40g (1.4oz) butter
- 40g (1.4oz) plain flour
- 150ml (5fl oz) vegetable stock
- 150ml (5fl oz) beef stock
- 150ml (5fl oz) thick double cream
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1. Melt the butter in a frying pan. Whisk in the plain flour and continue cooking, stirring continuously for two minutes.
3. Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken. Continue to stir.
4. When ready to eat, serve with your favorite potatoes - either creamy mash or mini
new boiled potatoes.
Got a lot of places to recommend? Let us know in our new SAYS Makan Buddies Facebook Group!