2 New Cases Of Chinese Nationals Infected With COVID-19 Has Been Confirmed In Malaysia

This has brought the confirmed cases to 21 in the country.

Cover image via Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah & KKMPutrajaya

Earlier today, 15 February, the Ministry of Health announced that two new cases of COVID-19 have been identified in Malaysia

According to the announcement, the two new cases comprise Chinese nationals.

While one is a 27-year-old man visiting Malaysia, the other is a 32-year-old woman living here.

"The man, a business traveller, was screened at the Bukit Kayu Hitam checkpoint in Kedah and a throat swab was taken. The clinical sample came back positive for COVID-19 this morning," Health Minister Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad was quoted as saying by New Straits Times.

The man is being treated at the isolation ward in Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah, Kedah.

The Ministry of Health (MOH) posted a statement on Twitter, saying that the woman, who has been living in Malaysia, had visited her family in China between 22 January to 30 January.

This has brought the confirmed cases to 21 in the country

As of today, there are more than 67,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 around the world. Out of which, over 66,400 are in mainland China, where the new virus has killed more than 1,520 victims.

Prior to the latest announcement by MOH, three confirmed coronavirus disease patients in the country made full recovery and were allowed to go home once their tests came negative.

Meanwhile, last night, the Ministry refuted an allegation that there are five new positive cases of the new coronavirus at Klang Hospital

The allegation about new positive cases at the Klang Hospital came after five-second video footage went viral on Friday. The footage showed an official in a hazmat suit.

However, according to MOH, what the footage showed was actually the standard operating procedure (SOP) to detect if someone has had close contact with the new disease.

"The viral video clip with an allegation that there are five positive cases in Klang Hospital is a hoax. Just don't share or spread it further," it wrote in a Tweet posted at 11pm Friday night, 14 February.

Speaking of allegations, social media sites and tabloids have been running a report that a North Korean official has been shot dead:

Read more updates on the COVID-19 outbreak on SAYS:

You may be interested in: