On Thursday, three would-be Malaysian Jihadists were arrested at the KL International Airport. They were enlisted into ISIS by a senior Malaysian militant who used Facebook to lure members.
Lured by a senior Malaysian militant through Facebook just three months ago, the three jihadists who were arrested at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport on Thursday were “fresh” but eager to join the Islamic State (Isis) terror network, The Star reported today.themalaysianinsider.com
An architect and a technician, two of them are aged 26 while the third person, who is a shopkeeper, is aged 42. They were all part of a wider network, all of whom joined ISIS to achieve martyrdom.
The architect and a technician, both 26, and a 42-year-old shopkeeper were part of a wider network, all of whom joined IS to achieve martyrdom in their “false” jihad. “The police have already identified the recruiter. The suspects are considered still ‘fresh’ but willing to join IS in their false jihad,” a source said in an interview yesterday.thestar.com.my
According to The Star, the three suspects had met in Klang together with their "handler" several times to plan their trip to Syria
Police believed the suspects were in contact with other Malaysian fighters in Syria. It is believed the three had met in Klang along with their “handler” several times to plan their impending trip to Syria.thestar.com.my
“Police are investigating if the suspects had any plans against Malaysian targets but, so far, there is no such indication,” said the source, adding that the meetings were held at the architect’s house in Klang. The suspects would use different modes of transport and routes to get to the Klang home each time to avoid detection.thestar.com.my
Soon after the arrest, the Bukit Aman Special Branch Counter Terrorism Division brought the men to their homes in Klang, Kota Baru and Arau and seized an ISIS flag and several computers
Soon after the three were arrested, officers from the Bukit Aman Special Branch Counter Terrorism Division brought the men to their homes – in Klang, Kota Baru and Arau – where further investigations were carried out. “Police seized an IS flag and several computers belonging to the suspects.thestar.com.my
Family members appeared not to know of the suspects' activities when interviewed by police. “There was a family however who consented to it as they believed he would be fighting in a holy war,” the source said, according to the report.themalaysianinsider.com
Police are investigating if the three suspects, detained under the Special Offences (Security Measures) Act 2012, had any weapons training in the country or with Abu Sayyaf in the Philippines
Sources said the Malaysian links to foreign groups in neighbouring countries were “quite real” as there were five wanted Malaysian militants who received training by Abu Sayyaf and were believed to have fled to southern Philippines, a known Abu Sayyaf stronghold.thestar.com.my
“Police are investigating if the three suspects had had any weapons training in the country or with Abu Sayyaf in the Philippines. So far, police believe the suspects are not linked to terror groups based in Sabah or Sarawak, including Darul Islam Sabah,” the source said.thestar.com.my
Inspector-General of Police Khalid Bakar said they will continue to take action against any Malaysian who plans to join ISIS
“We will continue to take action against any Malaysian who plans to join IS in Syria. We also ask the public to be wary of the activities of their family members, especially the youth,” he said in a statement. Khalid urged anyone with information to contact the nearest police station or the division at 03-2266 7010 or 011-2104 6850 or e-mail the police at [email protected]thestar.com.my
Meanwhile, in a separate case, Kedah police seized 16 firearms along with more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition, and arrested three men. But it's not linked to any militant activity.
Police seized 15 rifles, a shotgun and 1,579 rounds of ammunition in a raid on an abandoned house here and arrested three men, including a British citizen. Kedah police chief Senior Deputy Comm Datuk Ahmad Ibrahim said the three were picked up at separate locations. He said the raid on the abandoned house in Kampung Belanga Pecah at about 9pm on Wednesday resulted in the arrest of a 44-year-old local.thestar.com.my
The seizure is believed to be related to an earlier case on Sept 18, when police stormed a luxury yacht and arrested a 43-year-old South African and his female Thai friend and recovered seven Italian-made Benelli Agro rifles and several hundred rounds of ammunition. SDCP Ahmad said that while both cases did not have any link with terrorist activities, the firearms were found wrongfully stored at unauthorised locations.thestar.com.my
“A forwarding company applied for permits to keep the firearms on behalf of merchant vessels and owners of the firearms but misused the permits issued. “The firearms and ammunition were moved from the vessels to another location or owner, which clearly violates the conditions of the permits,” said SDCP Ahmad.malaysiandigest.com