4-Month-Old Baby Dies After Choking On Milk At His Nanny's House In Johor Bahru

A 39-year-old woman has since been arrested.

Cover image via ZAIN AHMED/NSTP & Kosmo! Online (edited)

Earlier this week, a four-month-old baby, Harraz Mohd Hafez, choked to death while drinking milk at his babysitter's house on Jalan Merdeka near Kampung Melayu Majidee in Johor Bahru

According to Johor Bahru South police Chief Assistant Commissioner Shahurinain Jais, the victim's father was informed of the incident when he received a call from the nanny at about 2.30pm on Tuesday, 9 April, telling him that the baby was unconscious.

"The father then went to the nanny’s house and found the nanny carrying the victim," ACP Shahurinain said, as reported by NST Online.

The baby was pronounced dead after being sent to Sultanah Aminah Hospital (HSA).

Mohd Hafez Mohamed carrying his son's body while fighting back his tears.

Image via Kosmo

Doctors at the HSA's emergency unit had tried to revive the baby boy, but after 15 minutes, they declared that he had died

"There were no injuries or bruises on the victim's body and an initial check showed that the victim had been fed with milk before he went to sleep.

"He turned blue while sleeping," ACP Shahurinain said, adding that a post-mortem concluded that the baby died from "aspiration pneumonia".

"The doctors said the victim had choked, causing milk to enter the lungs, blocking them and causing a lack of oxygen," he was quoted as saying.

Meanwhile, the 39-year-old babysitter was remanded for one day on Thursday, 11 April, by the Magistrate's court assistant registrar

The nanny, who had been taking care of the victim for three months, is being probed under Section 304A of the Penal Code for causing death by negligence.

She had also been taking care of the victim's two-year-old sister.

Image via Harian Metro

Other recent stories on SAYS:

You may be interested in: