Proton Holdings Bhd has confirmed that 49 employees at its Shah Alam service centre have tested positive for COVID-19, beginning a new cluster in Selangor
Bernama reported that one of the company's employees tested positive earlier on 14 October.
After screening and contact tracing was conducted, the company found that all 49 employees from the engineering division of the Shah Alam centre tested positive for the novel coronavirus, and have reported themselves to the authorities.
According to Malaysiakini journalist Aidila Razak on Twitter, the cluster is now known as the Auto cluster by the Ministry of Health (MOH).
The ministry initially reported the cluster on 18 October when it had nine cases and are still investigating the index case's source of infection.
Proton said further contact tracing is ongoing and that it has set up a COVID-19 team to monitor the situation
"For now, the company has requested all non-essential personnel from the affected facility to work from home as a precautionary measure," it said in a statement on Monday, 19 October.
"The company has been adhering to official protocols and is continuing its efforts with more stringent actions to prevent further spread."
The company assured that its service centre and showroom in Shah Alam will be disinfected on an hourly basis
It also assured that all customer-facing personnel will follow a rigorous procedure to prevent possible infection.
"Proton is working with the authorities and are satisfied with the actions taken so far," it added.
"The safety of all Proton staff, customers, and Malaysians are of utmost importance to the company and will be its main priority."
Remember to limit your movement and wash your hands often. Watch the latest update on the COVID-19 situation:
Read more COVID-19 updates on SAYS: