A Freed Siti Vows To Fight For #AnisNurIzzaty Saying She Won't Take Nonsense From Anyone

"I will keep fighting for her. She trusts me now."

Cover image via Azneal Ishak/Malay Mail

She was arrested, made to wear orange outfit meant for criminals and brought to Kajang Magistrate's Court in handcuffs. All for defending her client, Anis Nur Izzaty, a woman who wishes to get free from her abusive mother's grip. But Siti Kasim is undeterred.

If anything, the powerhouse lawyer is even more determined to fight for her client.

Siti Kasim is seen in the Kajang Court Complex earlier today.

Image via Azneal Ishak/Malay Mail

Now freed, Siti has vowed to "keep fighting" for Anis

Siti, who was freed after Court dismissed an application for her remand, said that she will continue to represent her client as Anis "does not trust anyone else at the moment."

"I will keep fighting for her. She trusts me now, at the moment she does not trust anyone. Poor girl," FMT reported Siti as saying, who thanked the court for dismissing the remand application, saying she was just doing her duty as a lawyer.

Siti defended her action saying she was doing her job, which included standing up for what she believed in and "not taking any nonsense from anyone".

"As I told the police, I am doing my job as a lawyer, which means I have to defend my client vigorously. It was necessary to stand up to them last night and to do things rightly, properly, correctly, as well as take no nonsense from anyone.

"I have not contacted her since my arrest yesterday, but I believe she is being looked after by the Women's Aid Organisation (WAO)," referring to her 24-year-old client, Siti was quoted as saying by Malay Mail during a press conference.

Siti with fellow lawyers and supporters.

Image via Rajsurian Pillai/Malay Mail

Siti, however, holds no grudges against the police, who she said were only doing their job. "It's okay, no problem. It is just that I have to spend one night in lock-up and missed my dinner," she added.

"I will give my full cooperation to the police to resolve this issue.

"We are going to work together because there are many things (happening) behind (the scenes), which you probably know by now.

"So, I do feel for them (police) because sometimes, you can't get the whole picture or the whole story and I think that was the reason why the magistrate rejected the remand upon hearing the whole and true picture of how it ended up like this," Malaysiakini reported the lawyer as saying during a joint press meet with police.

The powerhouse lawyer, however, added that while the police were doing their job, they needed to take other things into consideration, reported FMT.

"That's not up to me, maybe look at the standard operating procedure again, just like in my client's case. Claiming she was suffering from mental health issues, the police just grab her, trying to put her in a jacket without any proper procedure.

"Then anyone can lodge a report against you and claim that you are mentally retarded," Siti said, adding that without a proper procedure, the system could be abused.

Kajang police chief Ahmad Dzaffir Mohd Yussof with Siti Kasim.

Image via Malaysiakini

Meanwhile, even though Siti has been freed, the Kajang police chief ACP said they will continue to investigate her for allegedly obstructing a public servant from discharging his public duties

According to a report in Malay Mail, Kajang police chief ACP Ahmad Dzaffir Mohd Yussof said they expect the investigation paper under Section 186 of the Penal Code to be submitted to the deputy public prosecutor at a later date.

"We were investigating a police report lodged on 21 June, under Section 363 of the Penal Code, wherein a 24-year old Malay woman was abducted from Kajang Hospital while in police custody," he was quoted as saying by Malay Mail today.

Siti, on the other hand, has no idea where Anis is at the moment but she believed that her client could be under the protection of WAO

Read more about Anis's case on SAYS: