Malaysia Declares MH370 An Accident, All Onboard Assumed Dead
The Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) broadcasted an announcement on the missing Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight MH370 on state television channel RTM at 6pm today. “The announcement by DG DCA has been delayed & will be aired on RTM at 6pm. Separate arrangement had been made to communicate with the NOKs,” the ministry said on its official Twitter account @MOTMalaysia, using the acronym for “next of kin”.themalaymailonline.com
This is the announcement on MH370 by director-general general department of civil aviation Malaysia (DCA):
Based on the analysis of all available evidence and the supporting factual information that I have mentioned, this data supports the conclusion that MH370 ended its flight in the southern Indian Ocean.
Based on the same data, we have concluded that the aircraft exhausted its fuel over a defined area of the southern Indian Ocean, and that the aircraft is located on the sea floor close to that defined area. This is a remote location, far from any possible landing sites. It is also an area with adverse sea conditions with known depths of more than 6,000-metres.
It is therefore with the heaviest heart and deepest sorrow that on behalf of the Government of Malaysia, we officially declare Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 an accident in accordance with the Standards of Annexes 12 and 13 to the Chicago Convention and that all 239 of the passengers and crew onboard MH370 are presumed to have lost their lives.astroawani.com
The “Malaysian ICAO Annex 13 Safety Investigation Team for MH370”, comprising accredited representatives from seven countries is currently conducting its safety investigation. Similarly, the criminal investigation led by
the Royal Malaysia Police is also ongoing.
In A Message To The Next-Of-Kin, DCA Also Assures That The Search Of MH370 Will Remain A Priority
The Governments of Malaysia, China and Australia have spared no expense and resources in the search for MH370. This has been done with the paramount aim to find the aircraft and to seek answers. It has been done in hope of bringing some solace to the families of the passengers and crew on board MH370, which we respectfully refer to as the “next-of-kin”. We have endeavoured and pursued every credible lead and reviewed all available data. Despite all these efforts over the last 327 days (as of 28 Jan 15), the search unfortunately has yet to yield the location of the missing aircraft.astroawani.com
The Government of Malaysia also assures the families of the passengers and crew that the search for MH370 remains a priority. The Government of Malaysia, is committed to continue all reasonable efforts to bring closure to
this unfortunate tragedy, with the continuing cooperation and assistance of the Governments of China and Australia.
In keeping with our commitments to keep the next-of-kin apprised of the latest developments and pertinent verified information, a special section has been established on the MH370 official website, http://www.mh370.gov.my, solely for the next-of-kin.
The DCA Explained That The Press Conference Was Abruptly Cancelled As They Were Not Expecting The Family Members
In a statement later, the DCA said the media briefing today was by invitation for media only. “Due to the presence of next-of-kin at the briefing, it was not appropriate to continue, and the briefing was cancelled,” it said.themalaymailonline.com
A MH370 Press Conference That Was Scheduled For Today Was Cancelled At The Last Minute Due To "Unforeseen Circumstances"
Director General Of The Department Of Civil Aviation Dato' Azharuddin Abdul Rahman Was About To Deliver The Press Conference, Though It Was Not Known What The News Would Be
The Press Conference Was Expected To Start At 3.30PM And Was Filled With Not Only The Media, But Also Friends And Family Of MH370 Passengers
At 4.03PM, A Representative Approached The Podium And Announced The Cancellation After The Crowd Waited Anxiously For 30 Minutes
A representative from the Department of Civil Aviation announced to the crowd that the briefing has been called off "due to unforeseen circumstances".
The Cancellation Was Met With Sigh And Disappointment From The Hall
The news was greeted with sighs and disappointment from the crowd who were ready to receive updates on the progress of the investigation and search and rescue.
According To Astro Awani, The Media Would Not Have Been Allowed To Ask Any Questions During The Briefing
All questions were to be delivered formally via a letter after the press conference. DCA would later send them a reply by 12pm tomorrow.
Cancelling The Press Briefing At The Last Minute With Both Local And International Media Waiting Could Reflect Badly On The DCA Who Has Already Been Receiving Flak For The Poor Handling Of The Investigation