Hacking Device That Steals Your Card Information & Pin Number Found Installed On ATM In KL
Three suspects have been nabbed in connection with the case.
An automated teller machine (ATM) was found to have been compromised during an inspection by a motorcycle patrol unit from the Tun HS Lee police station on Sunday, 17 February
Two suspicious devices were found placed above the ATM's keypad and attached to the card slot
"One of the objects was a skimmer placed over the card slot, and the other was a video recorder placed over the keypad," Dang Wangi Police chief ACP Shaharuddin Abdullah told Bernama, reported theSun.
In a video shared by Info Roadblock JPJ/POLIS that has since gone viral, an unidentified person can be seen pointing out the locations of the two devices while another person works to remove the card skimmer.
Three suspects, believed to be connected to the case, were picked up at a convenience store near the ATM on the same day.
In response to the case, the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) shared a video with tips for spotting a skimming device
Here is what you should do to check for a skimming device:
- Check for any suspicious objects mounted on or around the ATM machine,
- Compare the ATM you are using to a nearby one to make it easier to spot suspicious differences,
- Tug on the card reader or any other mounted parts to see if they are securely attached,
- Test the keypad buttons' sensitivity and check if it was placed above a real one, and
- Avoid ATMs in non-bank places, such as in malls or public spaces.
Read more #news on SAYS: