Malaysians And Family Members Of MH370 Victims Have Started A Petition To #SearchOn
It's been two long years.
On Sunday, 6 March, family and friends of those onboard the missing flight MH370 gathered in Publika, Kuala Lumpur to commemorate the anniversary of the plane's disappearance two years ago
About 150 people attended the ceremony at the square of a Kuala Lumpur shopping mall (Publika), which saw the family members and next-of-kin sharing their heartfelt messages along with sombre song and dance performances.
The ceremony took place two days before the anniversary of the flight's disappearance on March 8, 2014. Flight MH370, a Boeing 777-200ER, was en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with a total of 239 passengers and crew on board when the midnight flight lost contact with air traffic controllers. Most of the passengers on board were Chinese nationals.
Local singer and songwriter Patrick Leong performed this heartfelt song titled, 'Search On', during the memorial. He had specially composed the song for the event.
The memorial is also part of the #SearchOn campaign by Voice370, a family support group bringing together relatives and sympathisers, to appeal to the authorities to "re-investigate, re-evaluate, re-start" the search of MH370
Many relatives remain unconvinced that authorities are searching in the right place.
"If they have exhausted one particular line of inquiry, that doesn’t mean other areas may not come up with something. Just sit down and ask, 'OK, what next'?" said K.S. Narendran, an Indian national whose wife Chandrika was aboard.
"They can stop the search, but where do we stop the feeling of loss? We want them to try, if possible, to continue searching for MH370," said Jacquita Gonzales, the wife of MH370 in-flight supervisor Patrick Gomes.
Voice370 said last week in a statement that the claims of funds drying up was "unacceptable" as a reason for ending the investigation, which they say could benefit the broader industry and increase safety.
About two weeks ago, the Australian Transportation Safety Bureau (ATSB) said that the search for MH370 will be completed around the middle of the year and there will be no expansion of search area if no compelling new leads emerge
Australian Transportation Safety Bureau, in a statement said that in the event that the aircraft is found and accessible, recovery plans had already been agreed on by Australia, Malaysia and China. The plans include steps to secure all the evidence necessary for an accident investigation.
The statement added that the search will be completed by the middle of the year, adding that in the absence of credible new information that leads to the identification of a specific location of the aircraft, all three governments had agreed that there will be no further expansion of the search area.
Show your support and sign the petition here to urge, support and fund the continued search for the missing flight MH370
A debris that was found near Mozambique last week rekindled hope for many, as early photographic analysis of the object suggests it could have come from the doomed jet:
Up till today, no trace of the aircraft has been found except for a flaperon, which surfaced on Reunion Island in July 2015. Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak confirmed that it was a part of MH370.