news

Husband And Wife Found Dead On Bathroom Floor Possibly Due To Faulty Water Heater

The couple's 10-year-old daughter called the authorities when she found both her parents laying unconscious on the bathroom floor.

Cover image via Bomba & Penyelamat Negeri Pahang (Facebook) & Bernama (Facebook)

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for our latest stories and breaking news.

A married couple were found on the bathroom floor of their home in Taman Puncak Teringkap, Cameron Highlands yesterday, 10 March, after they were believed to have been electrocuted

The husband and wife pair were found motionless.

Firefighters had to be called in to pry open the door as the victims were blocking it. Once the electricity in the house was cut off, investigators were able to examine the victims' conditions.

They were pronounced dead at the scene.

The incident reportedly occurred when the 46-year-old husband was taking a shower with the water heater on before getting an electric shock and falling unconscious

"Then the victim's wife heard a noise from the bathroom and went to check what was happening before shouting and asking her 10-year-old daughter to bring a piece of wood and try to save her husband," Pahang police chief Datuk Ramli Mohamed Yoosuf was quoted as saying by Utusan Malaysia.

The wood would have been used as an electrical insulator to break the man's connection with the current.

"However, the woman also received an electric shock before losing consciousness and the couple's daughter then called the emergency services to report the incident."

A preliminary investigation found burn marks on the palm of the 35-year-old woman's hand.

The husband and wife were believed to have been exposed to an electrical current from the water heater

As a probe is underway, investigators have found no criminal element in the incident. The bodies of both victims have been taken to the Sultanah Hajjah Kalsom Hospital in Tanah Rata, Pahang for a post-mortem.

The couple were reportedly from Sarawak and worked as farm workers. They had three children — two boys, aged two and eight, as well as their 10-year-old daughter.

The three children have been handed over to the Social Welfare Department (JKM), reported Bernama.

Water heaters can be a dangerous hazard if not installed or maintained properly. Here's how you can test yours safely:

Read the latest news on SAYS: