An Instafamous couple and several of their friends landed in hot water after allegedly violating the interstate travel ban under the Movement Control Order (MCO) to attend a wedding in Kelantan
The issue was brought to light by a Twitter user who uploaded screengrabs of the influencer's Instagram Stories.
In the video, the famous couple - who lives in Kuala Lumpur - can be seen hanging out with a group of friends in Kelantan without wearing face masks.
The tweet went viral and garnered over 7,900 retweets. It read, "Serious question: How can they travel interstate? Explain! Plus without masks."
The video sparked anger among netizens who argued that police are usually strict in approving applications for interstate travel
One person wrote, "Other people had family members die and still could not travel interstate. But these Instafamous people could easily travel interstate, go here and there."
Another user argued, "Even if they had a letter, tell me, how did they obtain it? Reasons such as to travel for fun, to go back to their hometown, or visit parents can't possibly be approved. Kuala Lumpur and Selangor are still under MCO and travel is only allowed for emergencies and work. According to my point of view, based on that video, there are no aspects of an emergency or work at all there. So tell me, how did they get a letter? God knows."
"Look at this video! My mother was ill last week, I could not even cross state borders! But this gang could? This is unfair. Is Kuala Lumpur and Selangor not under MCO? Can't even travel across districts. But how could this gang manage to cross states?" said one netizen, tagging the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) and Senior Minister (Security) Ismail Sabri in their tweet.
After stirring online controversy, the issue was then picked up by local media outlets.
This prompted police to launch an investigation.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, 23 February, Kelantan police chief Datuk Shafien Mamat said that a police report has been filed on the incident.
Authorities found that several photos have been uploaded on social media by the individuals involved which showed that they did not practise physical distancing while attending a wedding.
"PDRM Kelantan is identifying the individuals involved and the case is being investigated according to the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases (Measures within Infected Local Areas) (Conditional Movement Control) Regulations 2021."
The authorities are also urging witnesses to come forward and assist with investigations
Shafien Mamat told New Straits Times, "We (the state police) received new information on the case this morning."
"I would like to advise witnesses or those involved in the case to come forward voluntarily or otherwise, police will continue to track them down one by one."
He also said he could not provide the exact number of witnesses involved but the newlywed couple and their friends are involved.
"Police will only take action against them if evidence shows they flouted the standard operating procedures (SOPs)," he stressed.