Penang Celebrates 4 Weeks Of Zero COVID-19 Cases By Reopening Recreational Parks
To celebrate four weeks of zero COVID-19 cases in Penang, the state government has announced that recreational parks will be reopened
According to the state government official bulletin, recreational parks in the state will be opened to the public starting Saturday, 6 June.
New Straits Times previously reported that Penang was declared as a green zone after the state's last two COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals on Monday, 4 May.
Popular parks that will be reopened include the Penang Botanical Garden, Youth Park, and Taman Metropolitan Relau.
Hiking activities will also be allowed at Bukit Jambul as well as Penang Hill.
On the other hand, Permanent Forest Reserves under the supervision of the Forestry Department will remain closed. These include Taman Bukit Panchor, Teluk Bahang, Cherok Tokun, Hutan Pelajaran Air Hitam Dalam, and Bukit Juru.
Recreational areas under the Penang Water Supply Corporation (PBAPP) are off limits as well.
In Penang Minister Chow Kon Yeow's statement on Facebook, he said that the parks will be allowed to operate from 7am to 7pm.
The number of visitors will be restricted to 200 people at any one time. However, only a maximum of 50 people are allowed into Taman Metropolitan at once.
Besides that, he stressed that all visitors will be required to abide with standard operating procedures (SOPs).
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Health recorded 20 new cases over the past 24 hours, with five being locally transmitted
During the press conference announcing the daily COVID-19 updates, Health director-general Dr Noor Hisham said that this brings the number of cases in Malaysia to a total of 7,877.
66 patients fully recovered within the past day and there were no coronavirus-related deaths reported.
Read more COVID-19 stories on SAYS: