People Help Sarawakian Catch His Flight After Learning He Was Going To Walk 80KM To KLIA

The Sarawakian man wanted to return home but had no money due to not having any income amidst the almost three-month long MCO, during which the factory he worked at had been closed. So he decided to walk 80km to the airport.

Cover image via Kuan Chee Heng/Facebook , Google Maps , (Edited by SAYS)

On Thursday, 18 June, a man from Sarawak, who has been working in Selayang, Selangor, finally returned home after not having any income amidst the Movement Control Order (MCO) that lasted for 83 days

The Sarawakian's journey home, however, would not have happened if not for the last hour kindness of a man and his team of Good Samaritans in Puchong who ensured the man was able to catch his flight.

In return, his family couldn't thank the Good Samaritans enough for what they did for a stranger.

What happened?

According to a Facebook account, Kuan Chee Heng, who is fondly known as 'Uncle Kentang' for his philanthropic nature, the Sarawakian's sister messaged him yesterday morning.

In her messages to Kuan, Laura informed him about her brother's determination to walk all the way to the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) from Selayang — a distance of about 80km.

He wanted to return home but had no money for his transport to KLIA.

The factory he worked at had been closed due to the almost three-month long MCO.

Helpless and out of option, he decided to walk — from Selayang to KLIA — a journey that would take at least 16 hours, if not more, on foot if he walks nonstop for him to catch his 5pm flight.

His family had already helped him buy the flight ticket, however, they couldn't send him any money.

"After walking for two hours, he was still at Jalan Kuching. That's when the call came in asking me to help," Kuan wrote on his Facebook post at about 2pm, adding that he then dispatched his team to help him.

Kuan's team helping the man while picking him up from Jalan Kuching to drive him to the airport.

Image via Kuan Chee Heng/Facebook

They drove him to the airport and gave him RM200

Kuan said that the money was to help him buy essentials like food and for his fare in Sarawak.

In the post, Kuan shared that he was relieved to know that the man reached KLIA in time.

So who is this 'Uncle Kentang'?

The 56-year-old businessman cum philanthropist has been helping those in need for years through his unique idea of handing out kentang (potatoes) because while the poor often received rice from the public, they were so poor that they had to eat it plain with soy sauce, according to a report in New Straits Times.

"They don't even have money to buy vegetables. When I gave them potatoes, they were very happy."

People can call him and collect the potatoes. He also set up a public kitchen in Puchong.

He also provides free ambulance service for those who cannot afford it, provides hearses for communities in need, and have previously introduced Pasar 10 sen or 10 sen market, where the less fortunate can buy donated items, such as a washing machine or a piece of clothing, for 10 sen.

Uncle Kentang runs his charity initiatives through crowdfunding.

In April, a 34-year-old man walked all the way to Kota Marudu from the Kota Kinabalu International Airport after he returned from Japan:

Following which, another man decided to travel to his hometown in Kelantan after the MCO left him stranded in Kuala Lumpur:

You may be interested in: