Man Of The Moment: Photos Of Anwar Reuniting With His Family And Friends
Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim walked out of Cheras Rehabilitation Hospital a free man yesterday, 16 May
70-year-old Anwar, who was recovering from shoulder surgery, was issued a full royal pardon and released from detention with immediate effect.
It was an important day for the Pakatan Harapan's prime minister-in-waiting Anwar, as he was finally released after three years, or 1,191 days to be exact, since he was sentenced to jail on a charge of sodomy in February 2015.
The PKR de-facto leader has since declared a "new dawn for Malaysia" for Malaysia following his release from prison.
1. Anwar, who was once imprisoned two decades ago by Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, shared a warm handshake with the current Prime Minister before having an audience with the monarch
2. Selangor Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Azmin Ali has hailed yesterday a "historic moment" as Anwar was granted an audience with the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Sultan Muhammad V
5. Anwar's daughter, Nurul Izzah, shared a photo on Instagram showing the family having a meal together at the palace
6. Anwar was in high spirits as he greeted a child after arriving at his home in Segambut
7. Members of the media were able to witness the special moments shared between Anwar and his family following his release
8. Even a young child knew that it was an important day to remember, as he gave his 'Papa Tok' a big hug
9. Anwar was seen exchanging a handshake with an prison official before a press conference at his house
10. Some prison officers also didn't want to miss the opportunity to take a selfie with the man of the moment
12. As Anwar gave his first ever press conference after his release, his family was there with him
13. Anwar was not shy to express his love for his wife, Datuk Seri Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, as he gave her a kiss on the forehead while over a dozen of other people in the room looked on
14. It's clear that his family was overwhelmed with joy and as it's written all over their faces, especially on Wan Azizah who has been married to Anwar since 1980
15. A DAP delegation also came to visit Anwar at his home, as Finance Minister-designate Lim Guan Eng and Anwar were seen sharing a warm embrace
16. Anwar and Puchong MP Gobind Singh Deo were having a happy exchange together as DAP adviser Lim Kit Siang looked on
17. As the day drew to an end, Anwar made his first ever public appearance yesterday night to address his supporters
Thousands gathered for Himpunan Merdeka Rakyat rally held at MBPJ's Padang Timur. The rally was organised as a public celebration in conjunction with Anwar's release from prison.
16 May 2018 is no doubt a day that the Anwar family will never forget
A large crowd of Malaysians gathered yesterday just to hear Anwar speak. Here are the highlights from his speech: