Rats, it has happened again!
It may be increasingly common to sight a rodent these days but Malaysians were still surprised when a rat was spotted in a 7-Eleven store.
Twitter user @GrumpyKimywho shared two shocking photos on 5 January depicting a rat sitting on some snacks in a food warmer.
It was revealed that the photos were taken at a 7-Eleven convenience store in Kelana Centre Point, Selangor and the incident took place on 2 January.
"Please be careful when buying ready-made food in any convenience stores!" she said in a tweet, warning the public about the incident.
The tweet has received more than 4,200 retweets and 600 likes.
Netizens were clearly shocked and disgusted. They have questioned the steps taken to get rid of the pests, knowing that this has been an ongoing problem.
Many people have expressed their disgust as the rat was scurrying on food that could be consumed by anyone, and there could be serious repercussions to it.
There were also calls to avoid buying food from such stores with questionable hygiene standards.
Meanwhile, some think that this may be an act of sabotage
A few of them questioned how the rat managed to get inside the food warmer since the glass door is closed.
One particular person who claimed to be a regular patron also defended the store, saying that it "is not so bad as what other commentators said".
Responding to the matter, 7-Eleven has acknowledged that such incident took place in one of its premises and issued a public apology
According to the statement on its official Facebook page, 7-Eleven has immediately conducted its own international investigations and cooperated with the Health Ministry office for the district of Petaling on the issue.
"This is an isolated incident as we have certified quality assurance audits and regular pest control steps in place to prevent such occurrences."
"The safety and well-being of our customers are of the utmost importance to us and we would like to reiterate that 7-Eleven Malaysia ensures that all of our food products are of the highest quality and produced hygienically in an approved and audited facility(s)," it said, adding that the company has taken "further corrective actions" to prevent such an incident from occurring again.
Do you think that this was an act of sabotage? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.