Yesterday, 28 April, an entire university building in Melbourne, Australia was evacuated because the pungent smell of a rotting durian lead hundreds of students in the RMIT library to fear a major gas leak
Since the building was known to store potentially dangerous chemicals, around 500 students and teachers were evacuated by the firefighters as a precaution while an investigation was carried out
However, a comprehensive search confirmed that the smell actually came from a rotting durian someone had left in a cupboard inside the building
Though the durian is regarded as a tropical delicacy across Southeast Asia, it has been banned in some public spaces around the world due to its strong smell
The "king of fruit" is not allowed inside of public transportation systems in Thailand, Japan, Hong Kong, and Singapore.