Two Dead And Three Injured In An Attempt To Retrieve A Phone From Toilet Septic Tank

A man and his mother died and three more were injured in a cesspool in Henan province after the man's wife accidentally dropped her new cellphone into a toilet.

Cover image via

Last week, two people died and three others were injured after a woman dropped her USD300 smartphone into a cesspool in China's Henan Province

According to the South China Morning Post, the woman's husband climbed down into the open-pit toilet to collect the phone, worth about $300.

He was reportedly overcome by the stench, lost consciousness and fell in, initiating a series of rescue attempts that ended in tragedy.

The husband's mother entered the pit to save him, but also instantly lost consciousness. The owner of the phone herself then entered the pit, suffering the same fate.

A man and his mother were killed and three people were injured after he jumped into human waste to retrieve a brand new $300 phone.

Image via

Neighbors were called for help after the owner of the phone tried to save her husband and mother-in-law. She also lost consciousness. Unbelievably, the woman's elderly father-in-law and two neighbors also became trapped inside the toilet during the rescue.

Other Xinxiang City residents worked together using ropes to pull six people out of the knee-deep waste

Neighbors found a rope and used it to haul the people out. In total, six people ended up being pulled from the cesspool, which was reportedly filled knee-deep with waste.

“The smell was too strong. I lost consciousness before I could see anything,” a neighbor told Dahe Daily, according to a SCMP translation.

The husband and his mother both had pulses when they were rescued, but died after it took medical responders more than an hour to arrive on the scene

The villager cries after a woman and her son fell into an open pit toilet cries next to the cesspool in Cuizhuang Village, Xinxiang city in Henan province, China.

Image via

They were only inside the pit for 5 minutes, but the husband and his mother died at the hospital after waiting more than an hour for medical services to arrive. The man left behind a 1-year-old son.

"Two lives have gone in five minutes and my cousin's wife is still in coma, leaving a partially-paralyzed old man and a one-year-old son at home." the husband's uncle said, according to Shanghaist. "How are we supposed to go on?"

A hospital doctor said the cause of death was suffocation. The woman who dropped her phone is in intensive care, along with a neighbour.

The woman's father-in-law was also injured. None of the local reports mention the status of the phone.

Other related stories on SAYS: