[VIDEO] A Group Of Dedicated Volunteers Rescue A 5-Month-Old Dog Covered In Hot Tar

On our FEEL GOOD FRIDAY column this week, we bring to you a story of a five-month-old dog that fell into hot tar spilled around a construction site in northern India and was eventually saved by a four-hour rescue operation.

Cover image via

Covered in tar and almost lifeless, this dog was spotted by a passerby in the Indian city of Udaipur. The dog had fallen into hot tar that was spilled at a construction site and was close to death.

Image via

Now nicknamed Tar Baby, he was on the edge of death, when a call was placed to Animal Aid Unlimited, a local rescue center for street animals in need of assistance, according to reports

Image via

“There was no way he could have come out of his own, without any intervention,” Claire Abrams from the animal welfare group Animal Aid Unlimited told CNN. The charity received a phone call from a onlooker and rushed to aid the dog. The rescuers found the dog’s body covered in a solid layer of tar.

"We sent an ambulance and our rescuers managed to pull him out and bring him to our shelter," Ms Abrams said. A thick layer of tar covered his entire body and much of his face, Ms Abrams said. "We could see his eyes darting back and forth in a panic, but otherwise he couldn't move a muscle," she added.

According to The Washington Post, the rescuers rubbed vegetable oil on his body to clear away the tar for about four hours before taking him back to the shelter. The tar took two days to come off.

Image via

The rescuers spent hours massaging a large amount of vegetable oil into his body to loosen the tar, avoiding the use of kerosene because of its harsh effects on skin. After about four hours, the crew were able to pull the dog out of the sticky liquid, before taking him to the animal shelter. It took several days to clear his body of the tar.

Recalling the first night that he spent at the shelter, the rescuers said he was petrified and shaking after all he'd been through

Image via

On his first night of arrival at the shelter, Abrams says: "He was petrified and breathing heavily." The dog, now affectionately known as "Tar Baby", has recovered successfully and has also been vaccinated.

Watch the video showing his rescue:

Some four months ago, volunteers from the same rescue center had also saved another puppy from drowning

Leave a comment