Police have detained two 20-year-olds in Ipoh for allegedly mocking Islam in a video that went viral on social media recently
According to Bernama, Ipoh district police chief Assistant Commissioner A Asmadi Abdul Aziz said both suspects, a salesman and a female college student, were arrested on Saturday, 18 April.
He said the first suspect was picked up in Taman Kledang, Menglembu at 11.15pm, while the student was detained soon after at Taman Silibin Ria.
The video was recorded on 28 October last year, but had only recently gone viral
In the 28-second video clip, a man is seen making fun of Muslim prayers by kneeling on the floor and having his hands in prayer, while his friends behind the camera can be heard laughing.
"The man has admitted to being the person who was seen 'praying' in the video," said A Asmadi, as quoted by Malay Mail.
"While his friend has admitted to recording the video using her mobile phone at a homestay in Taman Lapangan Terbang before posting it on her Instagram account."
Initial investigations revealed that the woman had deleted the original video out of fear
However, copies of the video went viral on other social media platforms, with netizens angered and disappointed by the disrespect shown towards the religion.
One of the copies on Facebook has been shared over 40,000 times and has garnered over one million views.
"Hope the authorities take action before the situation gets worse. So angry," said a Facebook user.
Meanwhile, another user tagged the police in their comment simply saying, "Catch them."
"It's not good to make fun of religion. We all have different beliefs, don't insult other people's faiths," said another netizen.
The police have seized two mobile phones and will keep both suspects under remand for four days to facilitate investigations
According to Malaysiakini, the suspects will be investigated under Section 4(1) of the Sedition Act 1948, Section 14 of the Minor Offences Act 1955, Section 298 of the Penal Code, and Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1988.
Meanwhile, the Health Minister stirred controversy by falsely claiming the previous government failed to contain the tabligh cluster: