Video Shows A Man Beating A Rapid Penang Bus Driver For Not Picking Him Up At A Red Light

The angry 'would-be passenger' punched and spat at the driver.

Cover image via Tok Singa Page

At 7.30pm on Friday, when a Rapid Penang bus had stopped at a red light at the Lebuh Macallum junction, a man wanted to board the bus. But the driver wouldn't allow him, as it was not a bus stop.

Things should have ended there. Only that they didn't.

The man, angry at being refused from boarding the bus, shoved his way onto the Rapid Penang Bus and punched and spat at the 43-year-old driver.

According to George Town OCPD Assistant Commissioner Che Zaimani Che Awang, the driver was headed for Komtar from Bandar Sri Pinang. He said that the man's anger stemmed from the driver's refusal to pick him up at the non-designated spot.

"The man demanded to be allowed onto the bus while it was waiting for the light to turn green, but the 43-year-old driver refused to do so, as it was not a bus stop.

"The suspect then ran to the driver's side door and argued with the driver through his window, before returning to the passenger door and forcing it open.

"He then rushed to the bus driver and spat at and punched his face, and threatened to hurt him further," ACP Che Zaimani was quoted as saying by NST Online.

The Rapid Penang Bus driver.

Image via NSTP

Before things could escalate any further, several passengers onboard the bus broke up the fight between the man and the driver

After passengers intervened, the driver showed his quick-thinking ability by closing and locking the passenger door to prevent the attacker from disembarking.

He then contacted authorities and drove to the Rapid Penang bus depot in Weld Quay.

The Star Online reported that at the bus station, auxiliary policemen of the bus company handed the assailant over to the police at the Beach Street station.

The attack on the driver was captured on video by a passenger:

Posted by Tok Singa page on Friday, 14 December 2018

Meanwhile, Muhammad Adib who was injured after a riot erupted over the proposed relocation of the Seafield temple in Subang Jaya has now been placed back on respiratory support:

Other trending news stories on SAYS:

You may be interested in: