#WuhanCoronavirus: 3 More Chinese Tourists Have Become The Latest Victims In Malaysia
Three more cases of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) were confirmed by the Ministry of Health early today, 29 January
Among the three new confirmed cases, two are from amongst the Patient-Under-Investigation (PUI) group and one had close contact with the previously infected patients, Health director general (D-G) Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said in a statement issued Wednesday, as reported by The Star.
According to New Straits Times, two of them — a four-year-old child and a 25-year-old woman — are in isolation wards of Hospital Sultanah Maliha in Langkawi.
Meanwhile, the third patient, a 52-year-old man, is receiving treatment at the isolation ward of Hospital Sultanah Aminah in Johor Bahru, Dr Noor Hisham said in the statement.
Like the previously reported cases of four tourists from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the latest victims to be infected are also from China.
The total number of confirmed victims in Malaysia is now seven.
Dr Noor Hisham said they are still waiting for lab results for one more suspected case.
According to him, the Ministry of Health has ensured that the preparedness and response towards disease outbreak would be implemented quickly and efficiently.
Existing capacities and capabilities are being enhanced to address the incident of coronavirus infections, he added, as reported by Bernama last night, 28 January.
The cumulative number of people who are under observation currently stands at 78 people. Out of which, 39 are Malaysians, 36 Chinese, and one each from Jordan, Brazil, and Thailand.
There are currently 5,578 confirmed cases of the Wuhan coronavirus around the world. Of this number, 5,494 cases are located in China. So far, the virus has killed 131 in China.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Health has announced that there are 26 hospitals all over the country that will serve as referral hospitals in handling the confirmed and suspected cases of the coronavirus
Out of the 26 hospitals, 15 are in the peninsula, four in Sabah, six in Sarawak, and one in Labuan.
In a Twitter post, the Health Minister said that the 26 hospitals will handle the further examination of suspected cases, as well as treatment of confirmed 2019-nCoV cases.
On Tuesday, Putrajaya temporarily suspended tourist visas for Chinese nationals in Wuhan city and the Hubei province:
Read more about the Wuhan virus coverage on SAYS: