Indonesian Fan Claims He Was Attacked By Malaysians After SEA Games Football Semi-Final

A police report has been lodged at Shah Alam.

Cover image via AFP Photo via Channel NewsAsia

After the football semi-final match between Malaysia-Indonesia on Saturday, 26 August, in which the host country reached final of the KL17 SEA Games, an Indonesian football fan claims he was beaten up by a group of Malaysian football fans near Persiaran Sukan

According to a report in The Malaysian Insight, Shah Alam OCPD Asst Comm Shafien Mamat confirmed receiving a report about the incident that took place at about 3.45am, Sunday, 27 August. He said that police are tracking down a group of suspects.

ACP Shafien said the case has been classified as rioting

According to ACP Shafien, the Indonesian football fan was punched by one of the men. He sustained injuries to his hand when he tried to run away, Shafien added.

The Indonesian man received outpatient treatment at the Shah Alam Hospital.

Additionally, police are also investigating another incident where firecrackers were set off from the side of Malaysian spectators and a few Indonesian players were struck by them during their warm up

ACP Shafien, who confirmed receiving a report on setting off the firecrackers during the Sea Games semi-final football match between Malaysia and Indonesia, said that the report was lodged by their personnel on duty at the stadium after the match.

"Investigations into the incident are being carried out as police take a serious view on security affecting all parties including spectators, players and officers at the stadium," The Malaysian Insight quoted him as saying.

ACP Shefien also requested members of the public with information on the incident to contact police and not to speculate on the matter.

The firecrackers incident, investigated under Section 6 of the Explosives Act 1957, carries a jail term of up to seven years or a maximum fine of RM10,000 or both, reported The Malaysian Insight

Other related stories on SAYS: