15 Nostalgic Photos Of PETRONAS In Formula 1 That F1 Fans Will Appreciate
After 19 years of adrenaline-pumping action, the Formula 1 Grand Prix was held in Malaysia for the last time this October
The ground-breaking Sepang circuit thrilled people all over the world when Malaysia first joined the F1 calendar in 1999.
Hearing the engines rev, watching the F1 cars zoom past at top speed, and feeling the roar of the engines go through your body - nothing comes close to the feeling of being at the track on race day!
As Malaysia bids farewell to F1, we decided to take a walk down memory lane to see PETRONAS' journey in Formula 1 over the past 19 years:
1. It all began when PETRONAS became the main sponsor for the Red Bull Sauber Ford Formula 1 team in 1995
2. Two years later, PETRONAS would go on to become the title sponsor for the Sauber Formula 1 team
PETRONAS engineers also initiated the Formula 1 Technology Transfer programme with the Formula 1 team.
3. PETRONAS’ 2.0CC prototype engine was initiated and built under the guidance of Sauber PETRONAS Engineering in 1998
4. One year later, the PETRONAS E01 engine was unveiled for the first time at the Malaysian Grand Prix
5. That same year marked the launch of PETRONAS PRIMAX
6. In 2001, PETRONAS engineers were selected to work with the F1 team!
The members were Shaharuddin Hamid Mustapha (Suspension Engineer), Hasnan Kahar (Lubricant Engineer), Kamarulzaman Ahmad & Syed Omar Syekh Alsagoff (Electronics Engineer), Ahmad Izahan Ismail (Software Engineer), Mohd Irwan bin Mohd Anuar (Composite Designer) and Mohammad Ruhaidi Abdul Rashid (Structure Analyst).
7. In 2003, local school kids had the chance to experience an interactive mobile exhibition in a special partnership with the Education Ministry
8. The Centre of Excellence was created in 2003 to conduct all PETRONAS products R&D programmes under one banner
9. During the course of the Italy Grand Prix season in 2004, approximately 35 new PETRONAS engines were commissioned
This was also the year that Colombian driver, Juan Pablo Montoya, set the fastest lap record at Sepang International Circuit with a time of 1:34.223.
10. In 2010, PETRONAS became a title sponsor to the Silver Arrows, forming the Mercedes Grand Prix PETRONAS Formula 1 team
The team signed Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher.
11. A year later, PRIMAX 95 and PRIMAX 95 Xtra fuels were developed with Formula 1 technology
PETRONAS would become a key supplier of lubricants to Daimler-Mercedes across key markets in Europe and Asia.
12. Lewis Hamilton joined the Mercedes AMG PETRONAS Formula 1 team in 2013 and became a technical performance consultant
13. The Mercedes AMG PETRONAS Formula 1 team dominated again to claim its second Constructors’ and Drivers’ World Championships in 2015
That same year, PETRONAS Syntium with CoolTec and PETRONAS Primax 97 were also launched.
14. The team wins again, enjoying their strongest season to date in 2016!
The Silver Arrows took their third Constructors’ and Drivers’ World Championships, 300 points ahead of its nearest rival!
15. This year, PETRONAS announced an extension of the Mercedes AMG Motorsports team contract beyond 2018
Three world championships later, PETRONAS continues to push the boundaries and power the Silver Arrows
Watch the video below to see how far they've come:
Find out more about PETRONAS in Formula 1 here!