Gamer Dies After A 3-Day Gaming Marathon At An Internet Café

The man was reportedly a regular customer who often played for days.

Cover image via

A 32-year-old man met his end after a three-day Internet gaming binge. He had entered a Taiwanese Internet café on 6 January. On 8 January, he was found sprawled out on a table in the café, dead.

Image via

The man, surnamed Hsieh, entered the cafe in Kaohsiung, Taiwan's second largest city, on January 6, Jennifer Wu, a police spokesperson from the Hunei district precint told CNN.

An employee found him motionless and sprawled on a table at 10 a.m. on January 8 and he was rushed to hospital, where he was pronounced dead from cardiac failure, she added.

He had been unemployed for some time and frequented Internet cafés. He would often disappear for two to three days at a time.

"He has been unemployed for a long time, and internet cafes were the only place he could go to," an employee said. "His family said he would disappear for two to three days on end."

Police first released details of the case late last week.

It is not known exactly how long the man lay dead in the Internet cafe but police said his corpse had begun to stiffen so he must have been dead for several hours before they arrived on the scene.

Medics said the gamer died from cardiac failure

Medics said there were no signs of external damage and the passionate gamer died from cardiac failure. Cold temperatures and over-exhaustion from vigorous game-playing likely contributed to unfortunate gamer’s death, Hunei Police Precinct Chief Weng Chun-neng said.

“We advise people to get up and move around after every two hours of computer gaming. More patrols will be conducted to remind residents about the dangers of prolonged sitting and game-playing,” he added.

Gamers in the café continued as if nothing had happened

Image via

Police said gamers in the café continued as if nothing happened even when the police and paramedics arrived.

"The CCTV footage from the Internet cafe showed that he had a small struggle before he collapsed motionless," said Wu.

However, it's not the first case of Internet-addiction death in Taiwan in 2015. On New Year's Day a 38-year-old man died at an Internet café in New Taipei City after 5 days of non-stop video gaming.

Image via

Cops in Taipei sound like they’re getting a little sick of finding dead gamers all over the place. A similar incident at New Year’s claimed the life of a gamer who had spent five days behind a computer, and cops wonder why other gamers don’t show a greater level of concern for their fellow humans.

A police spokesman said: “We went inside to cordon off the tables and had investigators there to gather evidence. Only then did the other patrons realize that someone had died, but they still showed no concern and kept playing their games. We were amazed at their nonchalant attitude.”

And earlier in 2013, a young man from Penang was found dead after after gaming for 15 hours

Meanwhile, KL is hosting SEA's BIGGEST DOTA 2 Tournament

You may be interested in: