A Gula Melaka Salted Caramel Recipe You Won't Mind Getting Sticky Fingers For
Sweet and salty caramel that tastes like home.
If there's a food 'trend' that is still standing strong, it would have to be salted caramel. Because how can you resist the temptation of sweet and savoury caramel in your dessert?
But of course, everything is just that little bit more special with a Malaysian twist to it ;)
If you're interested in a caramel-induced coma, get the full recipe and ingredients list here:
450g gula Melaka
150ml coconut milk
100g unsalted butter
A splash of water
Salt to taste
1. Crush or grate the gula Melaka into small chunks.
2. Add the sugar into a heavy-bottomed pot with a splash of water. Heat until the sugar melts.
3. Swirl the pan occasionally to keep the sugar from burning and also to ensure even cooking.
4. Once the sugar has slightly thickened, take it off the heat. Add the salt, butter and coconut milk.
5. Stir until completely melted and well combined. Return back to heat and simmer until desired consistency.
6. Serve when warm and drizzle it over EVERYTHING! The gula Melaka salted caramel can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month.
So, go give it a try! What have you got to lose, right? (Well, not weight... )
Catch up on previous SAYS Makan videos here: