10 Tips To Help You Ace Your Exams, As Told By 'Bad Genius'
No doubt one of the most talked-about movies this year, Thai exam-cheating thriller 'Bad Genius' has gotten high praise from both critics and audiences alike since it was released last month
Despite the storyline revolving around a subject matter as mundane as school exams, 'Bad Genius' has earned high praise for its sharply-edited storytelling as well as the incorporation of social issues into its plot. We were especially impressed by how the film score and well-timed sound effects were used to drive the storyline!
'Bad Genius' certainly harks back to the stress and anxiety we've all felt in the weeks leading up to school exams. On that note, we've also picked up on some pretty useful tips on how to ace those dreaded tests from the movie:
1. Find a mentor who's willing to help you study
There's no use poring over your books for hours if you have no idea what it's trying to teach you. Don't be afraid of seeking help and guidance from a teacher or a fellow student, particularly someone who's better at this academic thing, to tutor you in subjects you're having trouble with.
2. Form a study group with your friends
You may have questions that they have the answers to, and vice versa. Teaching each other also helps you retain information much better, as research shows that people tend to retain 90% of what they learned when they teach it to someone or implement it immediately.
Of course, you should all make sure that you are focused on the topic at hand throughout your study sessions instead of just "hanging out".
3. Study smart. You don't have to memorise EVERYTHING, just key information that can help you goreng during the exam.
That's what our education system calls Kemahiran Berfikir Kritis dan Kreatif (KBKK), children.
4. Practise on past exam papers
Aside from planning out your studying sessions at least a few weeks ahead, you should also block out some time to practise on old exam papers under the designated time limit. Doing so will not only help you get used to the format of the questions, it's also good practice for you to plan out the right amount of time to spend on each section in preparation for the actual exam.
5. Before you leave for your exam, check that you have everything you need, especially in making sure that your stationery won't fail you halfway through the exam
6. Make a trip to the toilet before you enter the exam hall so you don't waste time on bathroom breaks during the exam
Just... don't drop the toilet bowl cover.
7. Don't kan cheong. Listen to classical music to calm your mind.
Most of your friends are probably trying to cram everything in 'til the very last minute, but that's really not the best thing to do when you're already stressed and anxious about the exam.
8. Read the instructions and questions carefully before you begin answering them
Most importantly, don't panic if you encounter a question you don't know how to answer. Just move on to the next question and come back to the more difficult ones later.
9. That piece of blank paper you're always given for Math papers? Use it.
Y'know, to make calculations and jot down your points before you put them down on the answer booklet.
10. If you finish the paper early, use the remaining time you have to review your answers before handing it over
Good luck for your exams!
Haven't seen the movie yet? 'Bad Genius' is currently still playing in selected cinemas nationwide, so make sure you catch it on the big screen soon!
A mere three weeks after its release in Malaysia, 'Bad Genius' hit the RM5 million mark in the box office, making it the highest-grossing Thai movie in Malaysia thus far:
Read more Entertainment news and exclusive interviews on SAYS: