Actor Luke Perry, best known for his roles in Beverly Hills, 90210 and Riverdale, has died after suffering a stroke last week. He was 52.
The actor was hospitalised after suffering a massive stroke at his home in Sherman Oaks, California last Wednesday, 27 February. Sadly, he passed away due to complications from the stroke on Monday morning, 4 March surrounded by family and close friends.
Born Coy Luther Perry III on 11 October 1966 in Mansfield, Ohio, Perry shot to fame (and basically achieved teen heartthrob status) in the '90s as rich bad boy Dylan McKay on the hit TV series Beverly Hills, 90210
Perry, who moved to Los Angeles shortly after graduating from high school to pursue acting, also starred in the 1992 Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie and had guest spots in notable TV shows like The Simpsons, Law and Order: SVU, Criminal Minds, and Community.
Up until his death, Perry also starred as Archie Andrews' father Fred in Riverdale.
In light of his untimely death, celebrities as well as Perry's co-workers and fans have taken to social media to share their favourite memories and stories about the down-to-earth actor:
2. Colin Hanks posted an amazing story about how Perry calmed down two boisterous children during a flight with balloons
"He tells me he always flies with a couple of balloons for that very reason, to give to screaming kids," Hanks wrote.
Read the full post here:
3. A 90210 fan recalled feeling "overwhelmed" meeting the actor, who proposed a "prom pic pose" when they were about to take a selfie
5. A fan remembered how Perry made David Hasselhoff apologise to her for jumping ahead of her in a line to meet him
8. Riverdale's Lili Reinhart, Casey Cott, and Ross Butler reminisced about the kindness and generosity the show's father figure has shown them while working on the show
10. Leonardo DiCaprio, whom Perry worked with in his last film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, paid tribute to a "kindhearted and incredibly talented artist"
11. Buffy director Joss Whedon highlighted the very moment he knew he was gonna get along with the actor the first time they met
12. Donnie Wahlberg of '90s boyband New Kids on the Block reminisced the squealing fangirls they used to meet
13. Actress Gabrielle Union and model Kimora Lee Simmons once "fangirled so hard" when they bumped into the actor on a flight
14. Before she became an actress, Baywatch star Alexandra Daddario had her first encounter with the "friendly" actor while working in food service
15. A fan brought back a 1992 interview where Perry urged teenagers to speak up as long as racism and sexism still exist
17. A journalist remembered him as an actor who was always a pleasure to meet and interview at press events
18. Political aides in Ohio recalled his involvement in state campaigns, remembering him as "down-to-earth" actor with "zero ego"
19. Screenwriter David Iserson witnessed the actor standing up for picketing writers during the 2008 Writers' Strike
The world has truly lost a legend. Rest easy now, Luke Perry.
Read more Entertainment features on SAYS: