Malaysian Artist Breathes New Life Into Wayang Kulit With Marvel And DC-Inspired Puppets
From representing Malaysia for international talent shows to performing wayang kulit in Germany and Austria, Malaysian artist Tintoy Chuo has come a long way since Fusion Wayang Kulit was founded in 2012
Wayang kulit revival project Fusion Wayang Kulit, which Chuo co-founded with his friend Take Huat, has been injecting new life into the traditional art of wayang kulit by merging the craft's classic motifs with modern pop icons.
In the past seven years, Chuo has created wayang kulit puppets depicting characters from the Star Wars saga, Marvel and DC superheroes, as well as a wayang kulit likeness for Ed Sheeran!
The revival may be slow-going, but Chuo tells SAYS they believe that the work they're doing is a meaningful one and has definitely paid off in the past few years.
Since getting featured on Wall Street Journal in 2014, Fusion Wayang Kulit has performed for international audiences in Germany and Austria as well as at a talent show in Guangdong, China last year, where they re-enacted a fight scene between Batman and The Joker.
1. Prime Minister Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad
2. Iron Man, complete with glowing arc reactor and nano repulsor cannon
The face plate can be moved too!
3. Thanos, complete with a glowing Infinity Gauntlet
4. Captain Marvel
5. Hawkeye / Ronin
6. Alita, which was gifted to Alita: Battle Angel director Robert Rodriguez and star Rosa Salazar
8. Han Solo, from Star Wars IV: A New Hope (left) and Solo: A Star Wars Story (right)
Chuo also made puppets based on several superheroes in the Justice League, including Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, and Green Lantern.
10. The Joker
In his latest project, Chuo was commissioned to create five distinctive Batman models for the celebration of The Dark Knight's 80th anniversary:
11. Based on the Batman animated series, this puppet stands on a stylised gargoyle and holds a kerambit (traditional close-combat weapon) similar to his Batarang
12. Based on Tim Burton's Batman from the 1989 movie
13. Based on Ben Affleck's armoured look in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
14. Based on Terry McGinnis' winged Batsuit from Batman Beyond
15. Based on Azrael's Batman from the comics, who stood in for Bruce Wayne after he was defeated by Bane
See more of Fusion Wayang Kulit's work on their Facebook page here. The Batman collection is also currently on display at SkyAvenue, Resorts World Genting until 10 July.
Last year, Chuo was commissioned to create an Ed Sheeran wayang kulit puppet, which was then used to recreate the singer's Happier music video:
Read more Entertainment features on SAYS: