8 Ways You Can Make A Difference Using Your Online Skills
1. Fundraise: One of the biggest needs NGOs lack is funds. Take advantage of crowdfunding platforms or even create your own online fundraising campaign to give back to charity.
2. Facebook: You are probably already on FB, Twitter and Instagram all day. Instead of posting selfies, help manage the social media accounts of non-profit organisations.
3. Influence: Having a tonne of followers on your social media accounts or blog is a good opportunity for you to help spread the word of positive messages and charitable campaigns
4. Teach: Online classes are now as common as dirt. Pick something you're good at, be it English or playing the guitar, and spread the knowledge
Ann Foundation Inc is looking for volunteers to conduct online English classes on Skype for young girls in Namakkal, India. Volunteers best suited for this opportunity are those who can converse in Tamil and fluent English. More info.
5. Translate: If you are blessed with the gift of language, NGOs often need help with translating their materials into different languages
6. Code: If you are good with computer languages instead, create or revamp an NGOs webpage, built an app, the possibilities are endless
7. Write: Contribute articles, manage a blog, write a report - there is always a need for good writers
Where to volunteer: Centre For Independent Journalism (CIJ) is always in need of volunteers to help with research including monitoring media coverage, gathering information on media ownership and freedom of expression violations. They also need writers and photographer to cover CIJ activities for publication on their website. Get involved.
8. Design: Put your designing skills to good use by improving the publicity material of nonprofits
TIP: You don't always have to wait for a volunteer vacancy posting before raising your hand. If you see an opportunity where your skills can be helpful to a group that you connect with, be proactive and offer your expertise!
You will be surprised at the difference you can make and the lives you can impact with digital