Here's How To Claim Money If A Car With No Insurance Hits You

This can be applied to drivers, passengers, and pedestrians.

Cover image via Stephen Babcock

Imagine this: You're driving down the highway when a speeding car crashes into you, causing injuries to your head and spine

For most vehicle accidents, you can make a third-party personal injury claim from the insurance company of the driver who caused the accident.

Image via Mark A Risi

But what do you do when the other vehicle is uninsured or has no third-party insurance coverage?

This is where the Motor Insurers' Bureau of West Malaysia (MIB) comes in.

MIB was formed by the Ministry of Transport Malaysia, general insurance companies in Malaysia, and the Bureau.

It helps pay for injuries that road accident victims (driver, passenger, or pedestrian) face in cases when the other vehicle has no valid insurance.

This can also be applied for those living in Sabah and Sarawak.

Every year, insurance companies are required to pay a certain amount of money to MIB

The money is utilised by MIB to only cover your injuries caused by the accident. The amount of payment given is on compassionate basis and is subject to MIB's discretion.

However, bear in mind that MIB does not cover hit-and-run cases or damages done to your vehicle, clothing, shoes, watch, loss of earnings, medical bills, etc.

There are two ways to get in touch with MIB: you can either do it yourself or go through a lawyer

According to iBanding, here are some steps to take note of:

1. Identify the number plate of the vehicle that knocked you.
2. Claims must be done within three years of the accident date.
3. If you hire a lawyer to file a lawsuit, they will need to inform MIB within 30 days of the lawsuit date.

Image via Flinjuryfirm

If you're submitting the claims yourself, prepare the following documents:

- A letter with a detailed description of the accident. This includes details like the date and place of the accident,
- A police report (with the license plate number of the accountable vehicle),
- A police report by the third-party's vehicle driver (if applicable/available), and
- Your medical report.

Once you've prepared all the documents, submit them to the following address:

Motor Insurers' Bureau of West Malaysia
Wisma Piam No. 150-3, 3rd Floor,
Jalan Tun Sambathan, Brickfields,
50782, Kuala Lumpur

For other enquiries, you can contact: 03-22747395

Take note that you will be required to pay a fee of RM100 to the bureau to conduct the investigation on your accident.

If you ever get into a car accident, keep calm and go through these steps:

Meanwhile, here's how to report road users who break the law in Malaysia:

You may be interested in: