1. "I have this black and pink cheongsam, pink silk on the inside with black lace layered over"
"I love it ‘cause it’s super daring with a low back and it makes my waist look tiny hehe. I bought it back in 2010 but it’s still one of my go-to baju for CNY; who cares about repeating outfits if you look good? ;)"
- Esther, 26
2. "I’m super not into fashion, so I usually go for something casual and comfortable that can be worn in everyday life too"
"My favourite would probably be the black skirt and red top combo I wore on the year that I actually bothered to take a CNY #ootd haha!"
- Jenna, 25
3. "My family went on a vacation to Taiwan when I was 12 and I bought this super cool sweater there"
"I insisted on wearing it for CNY that year even though my big sister kept making fun of me for wearing a sweater when it’s so hot. But joke’s on her ‘cause everyone else loved my look, all the aunties and uncles said I looked like Jay Chou leh!"
- Damien, 21
4. "As a little girl, my mum would always buy me a new cheongsam every Chinese New Year"
"After having two sons of my own, I really really REALLY wanted a baby girl to carry on the tradition. I was so excited last year to finally be able to dress up my little Aisha in her first ever cheongsam, she looked exactly like I did at her age! Can't wait to dress her up this year too and the next and the next and the nextttt..."
- Laila, 31
5. "You gotta be strategic and efficient with your CNY outfits"
"I always wear shorts 'cause it's so hot during CNY but I pair it with a rolled up long sleeved shirt so that it doesn't look too casual or else all the relatives will confirm judge. And I always wear shoes that are easy to slip on and off to make my life easier when going around to all the open houses."
- Darian, 27
6. "I've worn the same red shirt every year since I was 17 hahaha!"
- Yong Sheng, 24
7. "I tend to mostly dress in dark tones and don't usually wear bright colours, even during CNY"
"This was one of my favourite CNY dresses because that was the year I started wearing red or shades of red on the first day."
- Karmen, 26
8. "I really like this one because it's like a cheongsam with a twist"
"Still totally looks like a cheongsam but with a non-typical cheongsam pattern and it's made from cotton so it didn't feel too stuffy in the burning hot Penang weather. Plus, it was just the right cut to let me eat to my heart's content without showing my food baby hehe."
- May, 25
9. "The shirt may look totally ordinary but I'll never forget what happened the year that I wore it"
"In my hometown, the air is very damp and moist which makes our doors warp out of shape and cannot close properly. I managed to slam my room door shut after showering and changed into this shirt but ended up getting trapped inside because the door wouldn't open again.
It took almost 3 hours for the locksmith to come and get me out ('cause CNY mah) so my family kept passing me bits of biscuits from under the door lololol. But on the plus side, I passed time by texting this girl I had a crush on and she's now been my girlfriend for 5 years."
- Dylan, 24
10. "I loveeee long dresses but it's so hard to find ones that suit me because I'm so short lol"
"I was super thrilled the year I managed to find one that didn't make me look like I'm drowning in it! The best part was that it was sleeveless and super flow-y so it kept me cool all day and I couldn't stop twirling around it it. The Chinese side of my family kept saying I very leng lui that year summore.
- Gowri, 25
11. "My family and I prefer to keep it simple and not go all out for CNY"
"Basic wear is simple, comfortable, and easy to mix and match. I have less headache trying to figure out what to wear and can still look pretty and feminine."
- Jess, 33
12. "I don't want to burn my brain to think about what to wear"
"It's enough of a headache to layan all the aunties and uncles during CNY, and answering tons of questions. Simple, clean, and handsome can liao."
- YiRhu, 25
It's time to start prepping your outfit for this year by checking out the latest CNY fashion pieces at H&M
The new CNY inspired collection at H&M features some stylish items that are perfect for the upcoming festive season. Impress your relatives and celebrate the Spring Festival in style with a variety of affordable looks, from casual and laid-back, to preppy and comfortable.
Whether you prefer to rock a statement top that can pair well with anything, show-off in a brand new fashionable red dress, or keep it simple with casual hoodies and sweaters, and jackets H&M's got you covered.
Check out H&M's website for their full CNY catalogue or see it for yourself in-store at your nearest H&M outlet today!