[PHOTOS] SAYS Top 8 Must-Try Artisan Ice Creams In The Klang Valley
...Ice cream. We're not referring to the tubs you can get from the supermarket either, we're talking about artisanal delicacies and quirky works of art in the sweet world of cold treats.
Pioneered by the creativivity and culinary skills of a few entrepreneurial individuals, the local ice cream scene has been abuzz since a few years ago. As of late, international ice cream phenomenons from Korea have also begun setting up shop in Malaysia.
1. Inside Scoop does not only make fresh gelato-inspired ice cream on-site, their toasty brown waffles and crunchy waffle cones are made in-house too
1. 9, Jalan Telawi 3, Bangsar Baru, 59100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
2. 57 Jalan SS22/19, Damansara Jaya, 47400 Selangor, Malaysia. Closed on Wednesdays.
3. 27, Jalan USJ10/1E, USJ Taipan, 47620 Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia. Closed on Mondays.
Monday to Thursday: 1.00PM - 11:00PM
Friday - Saturday: 12.30PM - 12.00AM
Sunday: 12.30PM - 11.00PM
2. Don't discount its humble stall, Sangkaya serves the ultimate experience of its handcrafted premium coconut ice cream in a fresh coconut husk topped with coconut flesh and toppings of your choice... for a mere RM7.90!
Jalan Alor (opposite Restoran Beh Brothers). Also, look out for their stalls in Teknologi Park Malaysia and Sri Petaling as well as at weekly markets in Taman Connaught (Wednesdays) and Bangsar (Sundays). More details here
Opening Hours: Daily, 6PM onwards (Jalan Alor stall only)
3. The Last Polka - one of the pioneers of the local artisanal ice cream scene - brings a touch of nostalgia with local flavours like Salted Gula Melaka and Teh Tarik. Feeling adventurous? Go for the Guiness Stout-flavoured or the Kuah Jenhan-inspired peanut butter ice creams!
Where: The Last Polka's ice cream is available in selected cafés and restaurants in KL and Selangor. Full list here.
4. Handmade and handpacked with love, treat yourself to a pint or two of Fatbaby's fun-filled flavours such as Salted Caramel, Apple Crumble, and Madagascar Vanilla Bean
5. Don't be surprised if you come across some really weird flavours at Whimsical Gelateria & Caffe, such as chocolate cili padi and the cafe's infamous Nasi Lemak gelato (it tastes a lot better than it sounds!)
Whimsical is operated by the owners of Cielo Dolci, a quaint gelateria in Paradigm Mall.
Where: D2-G3-05, Publika Shopping Gallery, Solaris Dutamas, Jalan Dutamas 1, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Monday to Thursday: 11.00AM - 11.00PM
Friday: 11.00AM - 12.00AM
Saturday: 10.00AM - 12.00AM
Sunday: 10.00AM - 11.00PM
6. The Potong brought back the lost art of 'ais potong' with innovative flavours such as Musang King, Watemelon Fizz, Cherry Root Beer, and...uh, Wasabi Lychee
Where: Publika Solaris Dutamas, UG Wondermama, Bangsar Village I Delectable Treats, Pavillion The Soda Factory, Taman Bukit Desa The Cafe, Royal Selangor Visitors Centre
7. Magnum Cafe puts an elegant and customisable spin to the usual grab-and-go sticks
Where: Lot T-023, 3rd Floor, South Court, Mid Valley Megamall, Lingkaran Syed Putra 59200 Kuala Lumpur.
Sunday to Thursday: 10:00AM - 10:00PM
Friday to Saturday: 10:00AM - 12:00AM
8. Korean Milkcow's silky soft ice cream topped with chunks of fresh honeycomb is a house specialty, but you can also enjoy it with other toppings like macarons, liquid honey, jelly beans and many more
Where: LG K23, The Gardens Mall, Mid Valley City, Kuala Lumpur. (Opposite Cold Storage)
Opening Hours: 10.00AM - 10.00PM daily