Make Jiggly Soufflé Pancakes & 2 More Cafe Food Easily With These Foolproof Recipes
Malaysia has no shortage of yummy trendy food.
From Thai tea burnt cheesecake and White Rabbit-flavoured ice cream, to Milo-coated fried chicken and the countless new milk tea flavours - we're constantly impressed with the creative food innovations here.
We can only dream to recreate these dishes at home and tbh, most of the time we're not even sure if they're worth the time and effort! (they're not.)
However, we've found three recipes for trendy dishes that are actually super easy to DIY in your kitchen. Noob-tested, high success rate. Believe us!
Surely to impress any guests you have, learn how to make the jiggliest Japanese Soufflé Pancakes, a colour-changing lemonade, and a decadent plate of deep-fried chocolate covered strawberries.
1. Butterfly Pea Flower Lemonade
- 30 dried butterfly pea flowers
- 3 cups of hot water
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 3 tablespoons of warm water
- ½ cup crushed ice
- 4 (3) tablespoons of fresh lemon juice (15 ml per tablespoon)
- ¾ cup cold sparkling water
- 1 lemon wedge (for garnishing)
1. Fill a bowl with three cups of hot water and steep butterfly pea flower for 30 minutes. Set aside and let chill.
2. Pour the butterfly pea flower-infused water into an ice tray. Freeze overnight.
3. In a glass, mix sparkling water with lemon juice. Let cool in the refrigerator.
4. In a blender, blend 'blue' ice until pulverised.
5. In a glass, mix three tablespoons of honey and three tablespoons of warm water. Mix until honey dissolves.
6. Add in 1/2 cup of crushed plain ice and top it off with blue ice.
7. Pour in sparkling lemon drink mixture and watch your drink turn bright purple!
2. Japanese Soufflé Pancakes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ tablespoons sparkling water
- ¼ teaspoons of vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cake flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoons of neutral flavor oil (vegetable, canola, etc) (for greasing the pan)
- 2 tablespoons of water
2. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with a hand mixer. Add in sugar little by little and continue to beat egg whites until you get stiff peaks.
3. Fold in beaten egg whites with the egg yolk mixture until thoroughly combined.
4. Heat a non-stick pan on low heat. Add oil and wipe excess oil using kitchen paper towel.
5. Scoop three tablespoons of batter per pancake onto the pan. Add a splash of water into the corners of the pan. Close the lid and let cook for three minutes on low heat.
6. After three minutes, add another scoop of batter onto each pancake. Flip pancake and let cook for another three minutes or until pancakes are fully cooked through.
7. Your Japanese Souffle Pancakes are now ready to be enjoyed with a sprinkling of icing sugar, berries, and a generous drizzle of honey!
3. Deep-Fried Chocolate Strawberries
- 15 strawberries
- 250 grams of semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups of plain flour
- 1/2 cup full-cream milk
- 1/2 cup sparkling water
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2. Poke strawberries with wooden skewers, dip in melted chocolate, and place on a baking tray that's lined with baking sheet. Refrigerate for an hour.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, full-cream milk, egg, baking powder, vanilla extract, sugar, and sparkling water. Mix until it becomes a smooth batter.
4. Dip chilled chocolate covered strawberries in batter and deep-fry in pre-heated oil until golden.
5. Your deep-fried chocolate covered strawberries are ready to be eaten!
Besides being a healthier substitute to sugary drinks and sodas, sparkling water actually has many surprising benefits in cooking
Switch up plain water for sparkling water in your recipes to make a lighter and airier batter - producing fluffier pancakes and waffles, as well as crispier ASMR-worthy tempura and fried chicken!
A dash of it in your egg mixture will make for the most luscious, silky smooth scrambled eggs you've ever eaten. Trust us on this.
For all you sweet-tooths out there, a glass of chilled, fruit-infused sparkling water will help satisfy your craving for carbonated drinks - without all the unhealthy processed sugar and extra calories.
Spritzer's lightly carbonated Sparkling Natural Mineral Water gives you the right amount of effervescence that will add a nice kick to your drinks and recipes