news

12-Year-Old Girl Dies After Shielding Younger Brother In Her Arms During A Fire

Her 5-year-old brother sustained minor injuries.

Cover image via Sina

A 12-year-old girl in the Hunan province of China succumbed to burn injuries yesterday, 27 February, following a fire at her family home

Image for illustration purposes only.

Image via Fox 19

China Press reported that the fire happened at around 3am on 22 February. 

At the time of the incident, the family of four was asleep.

The girl was the first in the family to realise that the house was on fire

VOC reported that the 12-year-old had woken up her parents, and ran into her 5-year-old brother's room in attempt to save him. 

She reportedly shielded her brother from the fire using her body before losing consciousness in the fire. Her back was fully black when she was found by her father. 

The family eventually escaped the fire through a window in the house.

The girl and her 5-year-old brother.

Image via Sina

Apart from burn injuries, the 12-year-old had suffered carbon monoxide poisoning and inhalation injury

According to VOC, the girl suffered burn injuries on 28% of her body while her brother sustained minor injuries from the fire. 

China Press reported that she passed away yesterday after five days of fighting for her life. 

"She was an angel God sent to us, and she has just returned home," her father was reported as saying by China Press upon her passing.

Read other trending news on SAYS:

Leave a comment