12-Year-Old Girl Dies After Shielding Younger Brother In Her Arms During A Fire
A 12-year-old girl in the Hunan province of China succumbed to burn injuries yesterday, 27 February, following a fire at her family home
The girl was the first in the family to realise that the house was on fire
VOC reported that the 12-year-old had woken up her parents, and ran into her 5-year-old brother's room in attempt to save him.
She reportedly shielded her brother from the fire using her body before losing consciousness in the fire. Her back was fully black when she was found by her father.
The family eventually escaped the fire through a window in the house.
Apart from burn injuries, the 12-year-old had suffered carbon monoxide poisoning and inhalation injury
According to VOC, the girl suffered burn injuries on 28% of her body while her brother sustained minor injuries from the fire.
China Press reported that she passed away yesterday after five days of fighting for her life.
"She was an angel God sent to us, and she has just returned home," her father was reported as saying by China Press upon her passing.