16-Year-Old Boy In Melaka Beaten To Death For Allegedly Stealing From His Grandfather

The incident reportedly happened on Monday, 4 December.

Cover image via New Straits Times/YouTube

A teenager who was beaten for allegedly stealing his grandfather's cash, died at the Melaka General Hospital on Monday, 4 December

M. Arunasalam passed away on Monday night at the Melaka General Hospital.

Image via Facebook

Berita Harian reported that the Form Four student from Taman Tangkak Jaya, Tangkak, Johor was found unconscious at a bus stop in Ayer Keroh, Melaka.

He was rushed to the Melaka General Hospital emergency department and admitted to the red zone, where he passed away about 30 minutes later. 

State CID chief ACP Kamaluddin Kassim said that the doctors found bruising on both sides of the victim's hands and back. 

A day later on Tuesday, 5 December, a one-minute video of a boy at a ramshackle shed getting brutally beaten with a garden hose and a stick by two men surfaced online

Screenshots from the video of the boy being beaten.

Image via New Straits Times

According to a report by theSundaily, the victim allegedly admitted to stealing RM4,000 from his grandfather to treat his friends, while screaming and pleading for the men to stop beating him. 

The boy in the video was later identified as M.Arunasalam, the 16-year-old who was found at the bus stop in Ayer Keroh on Monday evening. 

The boy's uncle has been identified as one of the three suspects involved in the brutal case

The three suspects involved in the case have been asked to surrender.

Image via Khairunisah Lokman/NST

"We have identified three suspects, J Visvanathan, 32, K Shanmuganatan, 35, and N Thiagu, 38. J Visvanathan is the victim's uncle. We urge them to come to the nearest police station or the Melaka Tengah IPD to give their statements.

"Initial investigations found that the incident happened at a workshop in Krubong in Melaka Tengah District due to a misunderstanding between the suspects and the victim," explained Melaka Tengah deputy police chief Superintendent Mohd Kamal Zainal, as reported by New Straits Times (NST)

The case is being investigated under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder.

"Based on our interview with the victim's mother, a relative had probably tried to persuade the deceased into saying something but it went out of hand," added Kamal.

It was reported that the authorities refused to comment on whether the victim was beaten for stealing money from his grandfather. 

The victim lived with his 42-year-old divorced mother and 14-year-old sister. His cause of death is yet to be determined, pending laboratory tests. 

Watch the video of the incident posted by NST here:

You may be interested in: