A Baby Died After Being Exposed To Poisonous Amount Of Vaping Liquid

It is not the first case in recent years.

A baby recently died after being exposed to nicotine liquid from an electronic cigarette device in Victoria, Australia

Image for illustration purposes only.

Image via iStock

According to The Herald Sun, a coroner in Australia confirmed on Wednesday, 7 February, that the death was a direct result of the child being exposed to toxic levels of nicotine liquid.

Although vaping liquids are banned in Australia, they can still be bought through international sellers online and shipped into the country.

According to the coroner, all it takes is one millilitre of nicotine to kill a child if it is swallowed, inhaled, or sprinkled on the baby's skin or eyes

Image for illustration purposes only.

Image via Karen Anderson/ABC

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, "the liquid [can] be poisonous within a matter of minutes if spilled on the skin."

Recent research revealed that 202 e-cigarette poisoning cases were recorded in Australia alone. Out of that number, 76 of the victims were children, including 62 babies.

Meanwhile, Australia's Health Department said that the World Health Organisation has yet to find conclusive evidence that liquid nicotine is safe.

Image via ABC News

In December 2014, a one-year-old died after being poisoned by nicotine fluid in the US

Although, vaping has become significantly popular in recent years, the safety of it has yet to be proven.

Meanwhile, National Health and Medical Research Council CEO Anne Kelso released a statement that read: "The rising popularity of e-cigarette use internationally has also corresponded with an increasing number of reported nicotine poisonings due to exposure to or ingestion of e-liquids," The Sun reported.

Image via ABC News

Parents with children under the age of five are advised to be especially cautious

Symptoms of a child with liquid nicotine poisoning includes:

- Vomiting,
- a fast heartbeat,
- jittery and unsteady appearance, and
- breathing difficulties.

Leave a comment