A Penang Woman And Her Sister Are Dead After She Set Herself On Fire

The siblings were aged 39 and 33. Both of them suffered almost 100% burns.

Cover image via Pasukan Bomba Sukarela & Harian Metro

On 10 July, two female siblings died at the Seberang Jaya Hospital in Penang after they suffered almost 100% burns during an incident

The women, G Nirmala Devi and G Malini, were aged 39 and 33, respectively.

On 9 July, Thursday afternoon, they had a quarrel with each other at their Bandar Tasek Mutiara home in Simpang Ampat, South Seberang Perai. Following which, the 39-year-old set herself ablaze by pouring a can of petrol over herself before igniting a lighter, New Straits Times reported yesterday, 11 July.

During the incident, the petrol splashed on the younger sister, who tried to put out the fire.

At about 4.20pm, a team from the Sungai Bakap Fire and Rescue Department arrived at the scene. However, by then the fire had engulfed the main room of the single-storey terrace house.

According to operation officer Azhar Samsudin, they found the sisters trapped inside the house.

"Both suffered burns on various parts of their bodies," he said.

They were rushed to the Seberang Jaya Hospital for treatment, where they succumbed to their burns the next day. The younger sister died at 5.34am, while the older sister died at 11.43am.

Click to Reveal
Image from Harian Metro
Image via Harian Metro

It appears the quarrel between the siblings was about the elder sister going through depression due to her suffering elephantiasis

Three years ago, the elder sister had sought treatment for elephantiasis in Chennai, India.

However, she did not follow-up on her treatment here, according to the Seberang Prai Selatan district police chief Superintendent, who said that the woman had since become depressed.

The siblings would often quarrel, but on Thursday, Nirmala could not deal with Malini's scolding.

In the incident, several others were suffered minor burns

Among those involved the elder sister's children, age two and 12.

A 50-year-old Myanmar maid also suffered minor burns. All three of them were rushed to Sungai Bakap Hospital. While the maid has been discharged, the two children are in stable condition.

Read other trending stories on SAYS:

You may be interested in: