Toddler Dies After A Mirror Falls On Her At A Store In Jewel Changi Airport

Police are investigating the case under unnatural death.


On Friday, 23 August, an 18-month-old toddler died after she was crushed under a full-length mirror at a shop in Jewel Changi Airport

The unfortunate incident happened inside fashion store Urban Revivo at Jewel Changi Airport at 12.33pm when staff on-site administered first aid to the child while waiting for the paramedics to arrive, according to a report in The Straits Times yesterday.

While the Singapore Civil Defence Force responded to the medical incident at 78 Airport Boulevard, the child was unconscious when she was taken to Changi General Hospital.

The 18-month-old was subsequently pronounced dead at the hospital, police said.

The child's family are believed to be tourists from China and they collected her body from the morgue Saturday morning, NST Online reported via Chinese-language newspaper Lianhe Wanbao

NST Online reported a spokesperson from the fashion boutique Urban Revivo saying that the company is assisting police with the investigations.

"We are in contact with the family and providing them with our fullest support during this difficult time," the spokesperson from Urban Revivo said.

Meanwhile, a spokesperson from Jewel said that they are working closely with Urban Revivo to ascertain the details of the incident, adding that they are also in contact with the girl's family to offer them support.

"We are working closely with the tenant to ascertain the details of the incident. Out of respect for the privacy of the family, we are unable to comment further."

Both the spokespersons added that they were deeply saddened by the tragic accident.

The child's family at the morgue on 24 August, accompanied by Jewel staff.


The case is being investigated under unnatural death

According to Shin Min Daily News, witnesses at the mall saw staff from the store asking nearby shops for ice to apply first aid for the toddler after the accident.

Meanwhile, pictures taken after the accident showed the store was cordoned off and a sign was put up to inform customers it was "closed for stock take".

Other recent stories on SAYS:

You may be interested in: