For the first time in Malaysian history, a former Prime Minister has been charged at the court of law
Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak has been charged in court today, 4 July, with three counts of criminal breach of trust and power abuse for graft related to SRC International Sdn Bhd.
SRC International was a subsidiary of 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) before it was taken over by the Finance Ministry.
Najib, who is also the former Finance Minister, was arrested at his home yesterday.
The prosecution team is made up of 12 individuals.
Here is the list of members in the prosecution team:
1. Tommy Thomas (PP)
2. Datuk Mohamad Hanafiah Zakaria (DPP)
3. Manoj Kurup (DPP)
4. Datuk Shuhaimi Ibrahim (DPP)
5. Datuk Umar Saifuddin Jaafar (DPP)
6. Datuk Ishak Mohd Yusof (DPP)
7. Donald Joseph Franklin (DPP)
8. Muhammad Saifuddin Hashim Musaimi (DPP)
9. Budiman Lutfi Mohamed (DPP)
10. Sulaiman Kho Kheng Fuei (DPP)
11. Mohd Ashrof Adrin Kamarul (DPP)
12. Muhammad Izzat Fauzan (DPP)
Meanwhile, Najib's defence team is led by Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah
The Star reported yesterday, 3 July, that Muhammad Shafee, who acts on certain legal matters for UMNO, was seen entering the Malaysian Anti Corruption Commission (MACC) headquarters last night. Najib was brought to the MACC headquarters following his arrest.
Here are the defence lawyers representing Najib:
1. Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah
2. Harvinderjit Singh
3. Datuk Raj Krishnan
4. Farhan Read
5. Rahmat Hazlan
6. Muhamad Farhan Muhamad Shafee
7. Syahirah Hanapiah
A group of supporters held a vigil for Najib yesterday after he was arrested by the MACC: