Boy Dies Of Heatstroke & Dehydration After Cycling Under The Hot Sun During Hari Raya

The mother now warned other parents not to let their children play under the searing hot sun, and always keep them hydrated.

Cover image via Wanie Alias via New Straits Times & Kosmo!

Follow us on Instagram, TikTok, and Telegram for the latest stories and breaking news.

An 11-year-old boy died of heatstroke and dehydration after spending his Hari Raya Aidilfitri cycling under the hot sun

Muhamad Syamil Aqil passed away at the Balai Health Clinic near Bachok, Kelantan at 9.27am on Wednesday, 26 April, reported New Straits Times.

The boy's mother, Wanie Alias, said he was healthy and active on the first two days of the celebration but caught a fever on the following day.

The boy started vomiting on Monday, 24 April.

"I was monitoring his condition closely every hour and I found that his body temperature shot up and hovered between 37°C and 38°C," the mother told reporters.

"On the fourth day of Hari Raya (April 25), after Subuh prayers, I noticed that Syamil was already very weak, and while we were getting ready to go to the health clinic, he suddenly had an epileptic seizure.

"I immediately brought my son to the Balai Health Clinic. When we arrived at the clinic, the doctor on duty immediately gave him oxygen and branula to insert fluids. However, his pulse suddenly stopped, and became unconscious," she explained.

Muhamad Syamil was cycling near his home in Kampung Perupok, Bachok before he fell ill.

Image via Kosmo!

The 32-year-old mother said the doctor tried their best to save her son's life and performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)

But she and her husband had to accept that their son was no longer with them, despite the doctor's various attempts, reported Berita Harian.

Wanie said her son's remains were sent to the Raja Perempuan Zainab II Hospital's (HRPZ II) Forensics Unit for post-mortem.

The results revealed that he died of heatstroke and dehydration.

Late Muhamad Syamil Aqil and his family.

Image via Wanie Alias via New Straits Times

"All his internal organs, including his heart and kidneys were frizzled. The blood and fluids in his body had dried up," said Wanie

"I want other parents to take heed of what has happened from this tragic incident and not let their children play under the searing hot sun as the temperature of late has been quite high.

"Please ensure that children drink enough water and remain hydrated," the mother reminded the public.

Kelantan health director-general Datuk Dr Zaini Hussin also confirmed the cause of the child's death, reported New Straits Times.

"The early result from the post-mortem that was carried out at HRPZ II's forensics department found that the child suffered heat stroke and dehydration," he said.

According to a document by the Ministry of Health (MOH), mortality can reach as high as 70% in heat stroke cases

"The body tends to maintain the core body temperature between 36°C [and] 38°C. The thermoregulatory mechanism begins to fail when the core temperature is lower than 35°C or greater than 40°C," it explained.

When a body's thermoregulatory mechanism fails, it can lead to the denaturation of protein, interruption of cellular processes, and cell death, potentially causing encephalopathy, rhabdomyolysis, acute renal failure, acute respiratory, distress syndrome, myocardial injury, intravascular injury, residual brain damage, and fatality, among others.

However, with early detection and treatment, survival rates can approach 100%.

MOH's clinical guidelines on management workflow of suspected heat stroke victims.

Image via MOH

Catch up on the latest news on SAYS:

You may be interested in: