Canadian Teen Who Collapsed At KLCC Tests Negative As Confirmed Cases Rise To 14 In M'sia
Earlier today, 6 February, Health Minister Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad announced that a Canadian citizen who collapsed at KLCC yesterday has tested negative for the new coronavirus from China
The 17-year-old Canadian teenager who was admitted to the Kuala Lumpur Hospital on Wednesday has since been discharged and allowed to leave the hospital, he added.
"The good news is that her case has nothing to do with 2019-nCoV. She has already been discharged from hospital," Dr Dzulkefly said at a press conference in Putrajaya, according to The Star.
It was previously reported that the teenager is a boy
However, news reports have now clarified that the Canadian citizen is a girl who had arrived into the country from Indonesia on Tuesday, 4 February, with her family.
According to The Star, she and her family were residing in Shanghai, China for the past 15 years.
It was also announced that confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) infections in the country have now risen to 14
One of the newly confirmed cases involves a 40-year-old woman who is the sister to the 41-year-old man from Selangor. The Selangor resident became the first Malaysian to test positive for the coronavirus.
In a statement posted on the Ministry of Health's official Twitter page on Thursday, 6 February, Dr Dzulkefly said that the woman had direct contact with her brother.
"She developed a fever and sore throat on 1 February and started coughing on 4 February. As soon as her brother was found to be positive, she was traced by the ministry officials," read the statement.
"She sought treatment and tested positive for 2019-nCoV on 5 February. Currently, she is at the isolation ward at Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah in Alor Setar and is in a stable condition."
As of today, 28,335 people have been infected with the virus globally
Read more SAYS stories about the outbreak here: