news

Police Looking For COVID-19 Positive Patient In Kedah Who Allegedly Ran Away From Hospital

The 39-year-old patient underwent a minor surgery at the hospital before testing positive for COVID-19.

Cover image via Wikimapia & Reuters/The Straits Times

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for our latest stories and breaking news.

Recently, a COVID-19 patient is believed to have run away from the Sultan Abdul Halim Hospital in Sungai Petani, Kedah

Kuala Muda district police chief ACP Adzli Abu Shah told Bernama yesterday, 5 May, that several police teams were mobilised to look for the male patient.

The 39-year-old patient was reported missing at 8.45am on Tuesday, 4 May.

"A special task force was sent to the patient's house in Taman Bandar Baru, Sungai Lalang, but he was not at home," Adzli told the news agency.

Kuala Muda district police chief ACP Adzli Abu Shah.

Image via Astro Awani

The man was admitted to the Sultan Abdul Halim Hospital on 29 April

Adzli said that the man had undergone a minor surgery on his hand on the day of his admittance.

"He also underwent the COVID-19 swab test and was found to be positive on Friday, 30 April. He was quarantined at the B1 ward of the old Sungai Petani Hospital," he added.

It was reported that a nurse on duty only noticed the patient had gone missing on the sixth day of him being warded.

According to Adzli, other patients claimed that they saw the man leaving the ward on the morning of Tuesday with his bag and personal belongings.

Image used for illustration purposes only.

Image via Times of India

The case has been classified under Section 11(3)(a) of the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988

The provision empowers any authorised officers to instruct a person living in an infected area to undergo treatment.

Adzli urged anyone with information regarding the patient to contact the nearest police station or the Ministry of Health (MOH).

Last week, a hospital in Sarawak was unable to trace over 100 COVID-19 positive people due to fake contact details provided:

Earlier this week, Ismail Sabri announced that those under home quarantine will have to wear monitoring devices beginning next week:

Meanwhile, Kuala Lumpur and Selangor have been put under a Movement Control Order (MCO):