Father Loses Daughter To Alleged Electrocution At UUM After Returning To Campus For 1 Week

The father wants the university to come clean about his daughter's death as he does not want to have "hanky-panky things" to be swept under the rug.

Cover image via @mkini_bm (Twitter) & Malaysiakini

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for our latest stories and breaking news.

A 20-year-old student was found dead in her hostel room at Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM) in Sintok, Kedah after leaving home for just one week

According to Malaysiakini, S Vinosiny returned to campus to continue the fourth semester of her accounting and information system studies on 14 May.

On Saturday, 21 May, her father R Sivakumar was told that Vinosiny had passed away.

"Previously, she studied online at home because of the pandemic," he told the news portal.

"I only sent her back to the campus on 14 May and now she has left us forever."

Late UUM student S Vinosiny.

Image via Berita Harian

Sivakumar is now demanding UUM an answer for his daughter's death

The 56-year-old father claimed that the university called him at 3pm on Saturday to tell him that his daughter fell and became unconscious.

"They were just being vague and did not tell me what really happened. Only after I asked if my daughter had any signs of life, did they admit she had passed away," he told Malaysiakini.

"Her hostel room is sealed now. I did not get to check the conditions there. Even her phone was still locked in the room. The police only passed me her wallet and identification card."

He demanded the truth from the university, saying, "I want to know how my daughter died. That's all. All they said was to ask me to wait for further investigation. In fact, the doctor had already told me the cause of death."

According to him, the doctor at Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah in Alor Setar, Kedah had told him that his daughter died of electrocution.

When the doctor showed him her body, he saw Vinosiny had obvious burn marks on the face and right hand.

Her fingers looked purple-blackish as well, revealed Sivakumar.

Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM) campus in Sintok, Kedah.

Image via Berita Harian

"It is regrettable that the university did not say things clearly when they notified me about my daughter," he said.

"Now that the tragedy happened, I just want to find out the truth. I want to know the source (of the electrocution). I do not want any hanky-panky things to happen."

"I do not want other students to encounter the same incident. I can be sure that there is something wrong with the university facilities, but will the university admit this?"

The police have classified the case as sudden death pending the post-mortem results

"Initial investigation suggested that the student had suffered from seizure but we will have to wait for the post-mortem result to be certain," Kubang Pasu police chief Supt Rodzi Abu Hassan told New Straits Times.

A separate report by The Star quoted Rodzi as saying that Vinosiny's cause of death cannot be concluded as electrocution as the post-mortem result has not been released.

Late UUM student S Vinosiny.

Image via Malaysiakini

Meanwhile, UUM has expressed its condolences to Vinosiny and her family.

"The cause of death is yet to be ascertained as the university is still waiting for a post-mortem result carried out at the Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital in Alor Star," it said in a statement published on Facebook today, 24 May.

"UUM will be extending all necessary assistance to the student's family to ease their burden."

Catch up on the latest news on SAYS:

You may be interested in: